The Student Room Group

Very worried I've just thrown away the last 5 years of my life

So I made a thread (
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=76565810&highlight=) about two months ago about my job prospects as a recent MA student with zero relevent experience. I've lost count of how many jobs I've applied to but its definately over 100 now, maybe nearing 150. Given I have no experience, nearly every single one has been for entry-level jobs, internships or specifically for graduates. I specifically look for jobs under 20k as I dont expect to get any above it and I've tried local, national and global. So far I've gotten 0 interviews, and around 20% of people have actually replied/acknowledged my existence. I've spent hours upon hours with my applications - researching companies and what they do and how the role is suited to me and how passionate I am about their objective. Some even demanded writing tasks and sample blog posts which I would spend days/weeks researching, writing and editing, and after all that - yet some didnt even give me an email back saying I've been unsuccessful.

People said in my last thread to 'improve my CV' - with what exactly? I've tried to improve it for months but there is only so much I can put on my CV apart from my education and the fact that I've been working in a food bar since I was 16 - not that anyone would be impressed. Now I did say I have no relevent experience, people mentioned to volunteer instead. I can't volunteer in most some places because I live in a remote place up north and would only travel if I got a paid position as an intern, since I'm more or less broke with a *****y wage. Nevertheless in fact, I have looked into nearby places and applied for volunteering positions whether at schools as TA or with charity organizations - even at the cost of commuting 30-50+ miles and making my broke self, even more broke. But still nothing.

I know I'm not the only one in this position, but I definately feel like I'm in the minority, even the minority within the minority. I think almost everyone I knew at undergrad and postgrad have some graduate level job, or doing an internship, enrolled on a grad program - or done something! It's quite embarrassing also, I'm getting messages on facebook by old timers and my reply is I'm sill doing what I was doing at 16 and giving the same excuses again and again for why I can't get a good job. People will tell me to do something about it, but I feel I've done all I can.... I mean what else is there left to do? I'm not bothered about getting a specific job or my dream job in a certain sector, I'm just after a degree-level job so that my past 5 years hasnt gone to waste. I got high 2.1 and high merits at both undergrad and postgrad at well ranked Universities (Sheffield and Durham) so I dont see academic qualifications as a barrier. Experience obviously is, but I've tried and begged for it and still didnt get any oppurtunities. My regret is not getting enough work experience and volunteering at undergrad while I was at uni, but I never expected it to come back to haunt me this way. What else is there left for me to do at this stage? I just feel like I'm wasting my time... and potential employers who read my application and put it straight in the bin.
(edited 5 years ago)
If you haven't got a single interview from all those applications then your application is no good. The lack of experience is obviously part of that but plenty of students graduate without any relevant experience and still manage to get jobs so you should still be getting interviews. Have you had it properly checked, either by a professional or by multiple capable amateurs?
there’s probably a couple of things going on here.

working in a bar since you were 16 is experience (that a lot of people don’t have when they leave uni), yet you have said you had none. how have you presented yourself on your CV? have you actually tried to sell what you’ve done or have you let your lack of confidence come through on the page?

second of all if you’re in a high unemployment, remote area it’s no surprise you haven’t had much luck with jobs. consider relocating if you place a high priority on finding a job soon. even if you just relocate to an area with another bar job to start off with, being in an area with a more dynamic economy will give you a better chance of finding another job as well as more varied volunteering/other opportunities that will help your CV.

thirdly... there aren’t enough degree level jobs for all the graduates. don’t narrow your search to graduate jobs. there are lots of decent and even somewhat interesting jobs that don’t require a degree to do. even doing a relatively basic job that is a change from your previous job will give you some more well rounded experience to put on your CV.
Original post by bobking
So I made a thread (
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=76565810&highlight=) about two months ago about my job prospects as a recent MA student with zero relevent experience. I've lost count of how many jobs I've applied to but its definately over 100 now, maybe nearing 150. Given I have no experience, nearly every single one has been for entry-level jobs, internships or specifically for graduates. I specifically look for jobs under 20k as I dont expect to get any above it and I've tried local, national and global. So far I've gotten 0 interviews, and around 20% of people have actually replied/acknowledged my existence. I've spent hours upon hours with my applications - researching companies and what they do and how the role is suited to me and how passionate I am about their objective. Some even demanded writing tasks and sample blog posts which I would spend days/weeks researching, writing and editing, and after all that - yet some didnt even give me an email back saying I've been unsuccessful.

People said in my last thread to 'improve my CV' - with what exactly? I've tried to improve it for months but there is only so much I can put on my CV apart from my education and the fact that I've been working in a food bar since I was 16 - not that anyone would be impressed. Now I did say I have no relevent experience, people mentioned to volunteer instead. I can't volunteer in most some places because I live in a remote place up north and would only travel if I got a paid position as an intern, since I'm more or less broke with a *****y wage. Nevertheless in fact, I have looked into nearby places and applied for volunteering positions whether at schools as TA or with charity organizations - even at the cost of commuting 30-50+ miles and making my broke self, even more broke. But still nothing.

I know I'm not the only one in this position, but I definately feel like I'm in the minority, even the minority within the minority. I think almost everyone I knew at undergrad and postgrad have some graduate level job, or doing an internship, enrolled on a grad program - or done something! It's quite embarrassing also, I'm getting messages on facebook by old timers and my reply is I'm sill doing what I was doing at 16 and giving the same excuses again and again for why I can't get a good job. People will tell me to do something about it, but I feel I've done all I can.... I mean what else is there left to do? I'm not bothered about getting a specific job or my dream job in a certain sector, I'm just after a degree-level job so that my past 5 years hasnt gone to waste. I got high 2.1 and high merits at both undergrad and postgrad at well ranked Universities (Sheffield and Durham) so I dont see academic qualifications as a barrier. Experience obviously is, but I've tried and begged for it and still didnt get any oppurtunities. My regret is not getting enough work experience and volunteering at undergrad while I was at uni, but I never expected it to come back to haunt me this way. What else is there left for me to do at this stage? I just feel like I'm wasting my time... and potential employers who read my application and put it straight in the bin.

lets see your cv
Original post by bobking

a) your CV isn't functioning as it should and needs rewriting. You can open a thread of the private CV Help forum on TSR and get advice from there
b) you need to stop accepting mutually excluding 'can't' statements and expect something to change. If there are no jobs you want to do in the area you live then work out how to move somewhere else, or how to want to do a job that is available, or how to do a job you don't 'want' to do.
idk
Reply 6
Yo CV stanks ma brudda
Reply 7
Yea, sounds like your CV is not doing so hot
Reply 8
what did you study?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending