The Student Room Group

Schools to weigh pupils for Ofsted reports.

(edited 5 years ago)
I feel like it's the parent's responsibility, however not all parents are very active in playing a role in the lives of their children-providing them with no way of actually getting fit or healthy because of what they feed.
As such it could be beneficial for the child if this is done at school, but then again isn't it wasting time and resources in doing so or will they only be selecting those pupils they believe could be obese....
(edited 5 years ago)

They'll be a lot of, "You can't tell me what to feed my kids". This is a really good idea, there are so many obese children in this country. I'm sure the 'body positive' crew will call this fat shaming and kick up a stink about it.
(edited 5 years ago)
I thought pupils were already weighed at school? I was weighed once in Reception and that was it. I assumed it was the same everywhere but clearly not.
I think it is a fair idea. Kids these days eat too much rubbish and quite frankly, it is the responsibility of adults to ensure that children do not get overweight. There is only so much that a child can really do.
What if the child / parents refuse to be weighed?
Imo waste of time, just make sure every school trains their kids up to a standard of fitness. I wouldn't mind if that fat kid can run faster than skinny ones :wink:
Original post by Know Your Enemy
I thought pupils were already weighed at school? I was weighed once in Reception and that was it. I assumed it was the same everywhere but clearly not.

They will be weighed every year and the results will be judged by Ofsted.
Insist on the teachers going first and they'll leave you alone.
great idea i think schools should help students and encourage them to lead healthy lifestyles its educational and being fat or overweight is no fun ! It can lead to eating disorders later in life whether that be overeating or under eating and it's just not a way of life so if they're providing help why not take it ... also if they're weighing children the info should be kept to the school nurse and the student not shared with other students as this could lead to bullying etc.
(edited 5 years ago)
Always used to get examined by the school nurse. It's nothing new.
Original post by Know Your Enemy

i think they're thinking of doing it more often ... i remember being weighed and getting my height checked by the school nurse in secondary school also but don't remember being told what for lol
it is a good idea. it will enable parents to steer clear of schools which have a preponderance of irresponsible families; i would wish my clean-limbed and bright eyed offspring to mix with similarly healthy specimens instead of no-hoper salad dodgers.
maybe they presume the fat ones are being let off from doing PE too often.
Original post by the bear
it is a good idea. it will enable parents to steer clear of schools which have a preponderance of irresponsible families; i would wish my clean-limbed and bright eyed offspring to mix with similarly healthy specimens instead of no-hoper salad dodgers.

How do you get coffee out of a keyboard? 😂
Why judge the schools on how overweight the kids are? There's only so much the school can do to help in that regard.
Reply 16
Original post by Tiger Rag
What if the child / parents refuse to be weighed?

Cane the children and publicly decry the parents as being terrible?

Quick Reply

Latest