Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've got an offer from a university etc etc so it doesn't really matter as such, but how much do personal statements actually influence a university's decision compared to grades and so on? Just curious...

ReputationRep:
    More than grades i'd imagine. If you were applying for something like engineering and tell the uni how you're hellbent on world desctruction, i don't think they'd take you even if you were predicted 3 A's.

ReputationRep:
    It's one of the most important things in the application.

Grades come behind the reference and PS, at least for the higher unis.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the university, also on the course being applied for, applying for medicine then PS is more important than grades because so much more information about the applicant can be gained by reading it

ReputationRep:
    Really? Wow... I didn't know that, I always assumed they were just a formality. Though I can see why they would matter, without them you're just admitting statistics...

ReputationRep:
    Surely not all Universities will place the importance of the Personal Statement at the same level. It just depends, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Lots of people will have exactly the same grades, so it's the PS that sets you apart from other students. This is probably even more important with "communication" subjects, such as English, Philosophy, Politics, Medicine etc. If you can't string a sentence together in the PS, and have mistakes all over the place, then they will know you aren't suitable for the course.

ReputationRep:
    depends on the subject, the university, the applicants per place etc. For some degrees (e.g. Maths) there is a strong correlation between A-levels and university. With others (e.g. Economics), the school to university link is weak and you need a strong PS to really sell your interest in the subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EvenStevens)
    It's one of the most important things in the application.

Grades come behind the reference and PS, at least for the higher unis.
    I see where you're going with this... but it is a touch misleading. An outstanding Personal Statement is highly unlikely to make up for BBB predictions if you're applying to a top university; just as an AAAAA-predicted student might get rejected if their personal statement was rubbish. I do realise that you weren't trying to imply anything to the contrary - but it might appear to some people that if the PS is more important that grades, they will get an offer simply on the basis of a phenomenal PS.

ReputationRep:
    Well it depends on the uni, Edinburgh I know puts alot of the PS and reference, i got 3 U's last year (although there were very good reasons for this) and got an offer, but I had quite a good personal statement and an excellent reference, but then again I am predicted AAAB so they may take predictions into account just as much.

I think its the matter of, if you meet the minimum entry requirements then the PS nd reference are of great importance, if you don't, then que sera sera.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frater)
    Well it depends on the uni, Edinburgh I know puts alot of the PS and reference, i got 3 U's last year (although there were very good reasons for this) and got an offer, but I had quite a good personal statement and an excellent reference, but then again I am predicted AAAB so they may take predictions into account just as much.

I think its the matter of, if you meet the minimum entry requirements then the PS nd reference are of great importance, if you don't, then que sera sera.
    Aye, that's what I was getting at. You can't get away with shocking grades simply because you have an outstanding statement - and I know the above poster didn't mean to imply that; I just didn't want anyone to end up thinking that a great PS was a substitute for low grades. I reckon your "good reasons" may have done the trick for you - it would be pretty awful if universities penalised you for something that was not your fault, but led to three fails.

Good luck with achieving that AAAB!

ReputationRep:
    I would say it really matters. I am on my gap year now, and included that into my PS (improving language skills, becoming more patient etc) and I got offers, although I applied for English, which is not my first language and my grades were far from perfect.
    For Glasgow for example, people from Germany got conditional offers with much higher grades-requirements for the Faculty of Arts.
    So I think that they took me due to my PS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irrelevance)
    More than grades i'd imagine. If you were applying for something like engineering and tell the uni how you're hellbent on world desctruction, i don't think they'd take you even if you were predicted 3 A's.
    Haha thats the first thing i'd look for if I were an admissions tutor..
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I think personal statements can be very important. I'm applying for paramedic practice and there can be 600-700 applicants for only 20 places. Although all the courses interview they obviously don't interview everyone and as once you have met the required grades they can't descriminate by grades then they have to do so by personal statment and reference. I know that for some of the interviews I've been to its been a 1 in 5 or 1 in 6 chance of just GETTING to interview and that many of these universities will score both your personal statment and your interview and only those with the highest combined scores actually get offered a place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *pitseleh*)
    Aye, that's what I was getting at. You can't get away with shocking grades simply because you have an outstanding statement - and I know the above poster didn't mean to imply that; I just didn't want anyone to end up thinking that a great PS was a substitute for low grades. I reckon your "good reasons" may have done the trick for you - it would be pretty awful if universities penalised you for something that was not your fault, but led to three fails.

Good luck with achieving that AAAB!
    Yeh, note for anyone else who may have reasons for bad grades, contact your unis before you apply there and have it supported in your reference.

I think Ill need all the luck I can get on achieving those AAAB's! lol

Also, I applied for maths, it still 1 in 10 applicants, but something like economics which was 1 in 20 for Ed I would not have had a snowballs chance in hell. It depends on who you got against you.

ReputationRep:
    I read a piece by a Maths admissions tutor at Corpus Christi, Oxford saying that personal statements are all the same and they're all rubbish... haha! I can sort of see where he's coming from, too. Although some personal statements are indubitably better than others, the whole document is inherently contrived.

ReputationRep:
    PS is important, many people will have your grades, so it sets you apart but if lots of people have good statement and grades like in higher unis like Leeds that's when your reference would probably carry more or an equal weight. It provides a good insight into your character by what's said and in some cases by what's not said. With courses that do interview like medicine, art etc. Obviously that will probably be of more importance as everything before hand just helps you get the interview. So basically, your personal statement has varying importance depending on the course but...it IS important!

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.