sadied123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm applying to college soon, and I'm so stuck. In an ideal world I would take English Lit., Dance, Drama and Photography at A Level. However I want to take History so I have 2 "respected" subjects for uni, meaning I can only choose 2 out of Dance, Drama and Photography.
What are anyone's experiences on these courses and what would you choose if you were me?
Sadie xox
xEmilyxx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Honestly, all A levels are respected. The idea that some are better than others is a rumour. As long as you meet university entry requirements you can take whatever other subject you want.

I personally take Drama and Theatre Studies (which is different than just the Drama A Level) it can be fun, and it allows you to not just try acting, but to try costume, lighting, sound and set design instead if you wish. I personally chose lighting because I'm not a strong enough actor to get the grade I want in acting.

I also have friends who take Photography, and from what I can work out it is one of their most enjoyable subjects. Dance on the other hand seems to be a bit of a iffy one. In my college the A Level dancers have to work alongside the BTEC Dance groups, which means lots of frees have to be taken up by it so they can catch up with the BTEC counterparts.
sadied123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by xEmilyxx)
Honestly, all A levels are respected. The idea that some are better than others is a rumour. As long as you meet university entry requirements you can take whatever other subject you want.

I personally take Drama and Theatre Studies (which is different than just the Drama A Level) it can be fun, and it allows you to not just try acting, but to try costume, lighting, sound and set design instead if you wish. I personally chose lighting because I'm not a strong enough actor to get the grade I want in acting.

I also have friends who take Photography, and from what I can work out it is one of their most enjoyable subjects. Dance on the other hand seems to be a bit of a iffy one. In my college the A Level dancers have to work alongside the BTEC Dance groups, which means lots of frees have to be taken up by it so they can catch up with the BTEC counterparts.
Ok, thank you! Exeter college where I'm going runs drama and theatre studies too, I didn't realise I could do set design in that - art is where I feel strongest to be honest!
in regard to dance taking up lots of frees, does that mean it's not a great one to take with subjects like English, history and Photography where there's lots of coursework/essays to do?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (6)
50%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (2)
16.67%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (1)
8.33%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (0)
0%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (2)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (0)
0%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
8.33%

Watched Threads