The Student Room Group

Miscellaneous Thread VII

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by Rk2k14
Southgate wasnt that good to be honest.

Seemed like England's tactics throughout the tournament were set pieces.

Not necessarily a bad thing because its a strength for them but what was the tactic when the ball was in play? Long ball?

Very tactically inflexible.

England only ever able to score from set pieces?!

Reply 781
Original post by Rk2k14
Southgate wasnt that good to be honest.

Seemed like England's tactics throughout the tournament were set pieces.

Not necessarily a bad thing because its a strength for them but what was the tactic when the ball was in play? Long ball?

Very tactically inflexible. Poor subs too. Rashford really.

Basically copied conte and mourinho without looking at the drawbacks of such a system i.e. Starting Ashley Young and not having a playmaker(at united Pogba is there and fab for Chelsea).

Guy was poor personally. He also did a tite and tried to play clearly under performing players into form in a world Cup ffs. When torres wasn't performing in 2010 he got his ass dropped for Pedro quick time yet he puts alli straight back into the team.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by bj27
@Louis thoughts on Southgate?

Doing it away from the Croatia thread because that's turned to complete AIDS

PR masterclass
Original post by Louis.
PR masterclass

It is a nice blazer tbh
Reply 784
Original post by Louis.
PR masterclass

Assume you don't rate this guy as a manager either.
Reply 785
Original post by Angry cucumber
Khedira was world class and had played for years in top teams as a regular starter. Wilshire is as free agent made of glass

That's funny, because Khedira was injured for the last 2 seasons at Real Madrid (to the point Ancelotti stopped playing him in 14/15) and left to go to Juventus for free...
30 days until the Prem lads.
Original post by bj27
Assume you don't rate this guy as a manager either.

I think he's had a good World Cup. 'PR masterclass' was a bit of a joke but actually there's something in restoring some positivity around English football. Essentially we beat teams we should have beat and lost to teams we should have lost to, and that's an improvement.

In terms of tactics/selection there are certainly issues and we need to work out how to create from open play. We seem set up to play on the counter, but the only time Lingard/Alli/Sterling's movement looked threatening was that one chance against Tunisia. Yesterday we were a long ball team, Lingard and Alli got dragged back into playing as CMs which isn't what they're about.

Not like Southgate can just magic up proper central midfielders though. Main criticism seems to be he didn't play an unproven 22 year old more. That's probably a sign it's a good tournament. Know it was the right side of the draw but the guy took England to a World Cup semi final and I'm happy to keep an open mind about him.
Original post by Angry cucumber
Wilshire had no right to be on the plane. Semi fit, hasn't played anything like a full season etc

RLC looked great earlier this summer, picks the ball up and makes ground. A midfield 3 of RLC, Henderson and Lingard would have been interesting. Dier makes us look terrible and Alli was either unfit or woeful all tournament,

To be fair, Wilshere did actually play a lot of games last season. He shouldn't have been on the plane though you're right.

Alli clearly wasn't fit and should never have been played over RLC.

Original post by rockrunride
30 days until the Prem lads.

First season since I was a teenager when i've got a season ticket in my own name! :woo:

Pretty miffed our first 2 home games are on a Friday night and bank holiday Monday...
All this football distraced me from the fact new episodes of Power are out 🔥
Original post by sr90
First season since I was a teenager when i've got a season ticket in my own name! :woo:

Pretty miffed our first 2 home games are on a Friday night and bank holiday Monday...

Nice, this will be my second year with a season ticket though the first in our new ground.

Though I've given my ticket for our first home game ever in the new ground to my dad, as I'm at a wedding...
Reply 791
Neymar is an absolute embarrassment to the game. Guy is world class at diving and acting.

The gif of Mbappe dribbling Neymar is fantastic.

I kind of gave up caring about this that much, since ref's don't give decisions if the player doesn't go down. It does leave a bad taste in the mouth (especially when on the receiving end) but if it's the difference between winning and losing or penalty and no penalty, then do it.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 794
Man people like to be offended because it puts value into their life.
Reply 795
Original post by bj27
Man people like to be offended because it puts value into their life.

Thoughts on Trump’s visit and the protests?
Reply 796
Original post by S.G.
Thoughts on Trump’s visit and the protests?

People like to be offended. Don't they have bigger problems, your protest ain't gonna stop his tarriffs on the EU+China, neither is it going to stop his immigration policies, you're not American. The only way Trump is getting stopped is by his people in the States.

May probably very happy right now that Trump is in town because they will spend those days protesting about him instead of the absolute **** farce that is Brexit. Trump went from openly supporting brexit to full on question dodging when asked in a press conference about his opinions of current Brexit.

That being said, this guy is trying his hardest to put the entire world in a recession just so that the US can stay ahead of China... but that's not why people are offended with him outside of the political and economical sphere(May is trying to do the same to the UK with that nonsense Brexit plan anyway). Either way, the alternatives lack a clear plan to get the country moving forward.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 797
Original post by So Instinct
The gif of Mbappe dribbling Neymar is fantastic.

I kind of gave up caring about this that much, since ref's don't give decisions if the player doesn't go down. It does leave a bad taste in the mouth (especially when on the receiving end) but if it's the difference between winning and losing or penalty and no penalty, then do it.

Agree. If the ref is **** dive.

Hazard got this down to a T though, just get past them and use your body to shield the ball to win fouls.
(edited 5 years ago)
It's really people who are prone to hysteria (a lot of passionate left wingers), people who want to seem woke, or people who have nothing better to do with their lives.

You could probably taste the angst in the air at the protest.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 799
Trump is lowkey batman. Rich billionaire, seen as evil by the world but sees himself as doing good for the world.

He's the hero we don't deserve. Not srs.

I find it funny that people laugh at the thoughts and prayers thing but decide to use banners and tweets in response to that? Really ****a

Quick Reply