Failing third year

Watch this thread
RickyKaka22
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
If you fail certain modules in third year, what are the options? Will you be allowed to retake the exam/coursework for the failed module throughout the summer like previous years or would you be waiting until the next academic year to retake the module in normal term times?

Also, dissertation. What options are available should you fail your dissertation (due to poor marks or missed deadline)? Will you be able to resubmit at a later date(Summer), or retake the module in the following academic year? And will the grade be capped at a pass mark or not?

And lastly, can you retake the third year as a whole like you are able to do for first/second year due to same circumstances (not enough credits, extenuating circumstances etc.)?
999tigger
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RickyKaka22)
If you fail certain modules in third year, what are the options? Will you be allowed to retake the exam/coursework for the failed module throughout the summer like previous years or would you be waiting until the next academic year to retake the module in normal term times?

Also, dissertation. What options are available should you fail your dissertation (due to poor marks or missed deadline)? Will you be able to resubmit at a later date(Summer), or retake the module in the following academic year? And will the grade be capped at a pass mark or not?

And lastly, can you retake the third year as a whole like you are able to do for first/second year due to same circumstances (not enough credits, extenuating circumstances etc.)?
You will need to look at the rules or go and see a student advisor. Unis are consistent, but they have their own rules.

Failing a module.
Normally results in an option to resit. Fail again and it is a retake the following year. resits take place in July or August. You will not be allowed to graduate in the Summer.

Dissertation, then they tell you but its normally a resubmission first time round.

Both resits and resubmissions are normally capped at 40% unless you put in a successful extenuating circs claim to remove the cap.

They are unlikely to let you resit the third year without a successful extenuating circs claim.
Goldsmiths, University of London
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I can only reiterate what 999tigger said. :yy:

It's better to bite the bullet sooner rather than later, and see what you can salvage from the situation. Extenuating circumstances WILL be considered on a case-by-case basis, but you need to request it soon. (I suffered illness when I was at (another) university, but didn't get help until it was far too late).

Your first port of call could be the Student Centre, but eventually you will need to talk to someone in your department.

(Original post by RickyKaka22)

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (8)
21.62%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
8.11%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
10.81%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (4)
10.81%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (8)
21.62%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (10)
27.03%

Watched Threads