acids and bases question

Watch this thread
A*my
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
nitric acid, HNO3, and nitrous acid, HNO2 , are 2 bronsted-lowry acids containing nitrogen. a student measures the pH of 0.045 mol dm-3 solutions of HNO3 and HNO2. (pKa = 3.35) and found the acids had different pHs.

a) why are the pH different?
b) calculate the pH value of 0.045 mol dm-3 HNO3
c) calculate the pH value of 0.045 moldm-3 HNO2

I can't answer these questions? with parts b and c, I don't know how i'm meant to change the equation
Giovannii
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
1) HNO3 is a strong acid so it fully dissociates H+ ions solution while HNO2 will partially dissociate H+ ions in solution.
2) In a strong acid [H+] = [HA] so you will only need to -log (H+) to get the pH
3) For a weak acid first, you work out Ka by 10^pKa. Then using that value, H+^2 will be ka x [HA] but pH is -log(H+). So you would need to square root H+ then -log it

Hope this helps
A*my
Rep:
(Original post by Giovannii)
1) HNO3 is a strong acid so it fully dissociates H+ ions solution while HNO2 will partially dissociate H+ ions in solution.
2) In a strong acid [H+] = [HA] so you will only need to -log (H+) to get the pH
3) For a weak acid first, you work out Ka by 10^pKa. Then using that value, H+^2 will be ka x [HA] but pH is -log(H+). So you would need to square root H+ then -log it

Hope this helps
ah I see! thanks. I wasn't aware HNO2 was a weak acid :/
A*my
Rep:

Hope this helps
I just had a look at the OCR A spec to try and work out if there were any weak acids i need to learn off by heart. I couldn't see any. I only know things like CH3COOH is weak.
Giovannii
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by A*my)
I just had a look at the OCR A spec to try and work out if there were any weak acids i need to learn off by heart. I couldn't see any. I only know things like CH3COOH is weak.
In the OCR A spec they mostly want you to know that:
HCl, HNO3, H2SO4, HBr, HI, and HClO4 are all strong acids.
Most other acids will be weak acids they will give it away that it is a weak acid by giving you a Ka or pKa.
Amethyst190
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 year ago

Hope this helps
how do you get the [H+]
ran-dumb
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
For strong acids like HNO3, concentration of acid=[H+] because we assume complete dissociation
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (23)
33.33%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (31)
44.93%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (14)
20.29%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.45%

Watched Threads