As a commonwealth scholar, how's life at Cranfield?

Watch
Samuelkika
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello guys.

I am a Nigerian and a prospective student of Cranfield University. I recently secured an offer in Advanced Mechanical Engineering. I wish to have more information about the course and how its taught. Please is there anyone presently studying this course under funding from commonwealth shared scholarship?

Warm Regards,
Kika
jakub1994
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Dear Kika, My name is Jakub and I am currently studying at Cranfield University on MSc in Adv. Mechanical Engineering. I am happy here to help you. I am additionally Course Representative, so I am responsible for contact between my MSc group and University. Currently, this year the taught modules were: 1. Advanced Controls System (Where we had intruduction to MATLAB software, including MATLAB tool which is called SIMULINK. The main task, was to model and understand the PID controller work.).2. Computational fluid dynamics (Where we have used the Fluent software to understand the impact of VAWT on air flow distribution. It was very interesting module.)3. Engineering stress analysis: theory and simulations (For me one of the main modules at this Course. Very interesting module, which as an assignment had stress distribution in the round bar specimen. We additionally have used the ABAQUS software to improve our understanding of the problem and knowledge.) 4. Fluid Mechanics
jakub1994
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
& Loading (Fluid mechanics regarding water, ocean energy. Possibilities of usage this energy in the future. Problems and stress distribution of the ocean-located components.) 5. Structural integrity (Again, very similar to stress analysis but in smaller scale. Crack propagation and stress distribution were the key area of interests). 6. Power generation systems (Understanding how the power is generated nowadays. How turbine, and other power plant components work was the key area of study. Additionally we looked after e.g. energy from hydrogen and CHP.) 7. Risk and Reliabilty Engineering (VERY, VERY interesting module! It has been explained how to prevent hazards, what does reliability engineering meens, what are the roles of engineer in safe design, how to look after failures, how to help prevent the failures and fatalities). 8. Management for technology (My best! It was explained how to deal with so called "accountants". How to be future engineer, and how to deal with problems). After modules, we have had Group Design Projects. I was in a group of 5 students (from 2 different masters), from different countries. Our topic was about Carburization/Oxidation of 9Cr steels in Nuclear Power Plants. Our work was supported by EDF Energy (major UK player in Energy). It was very interesting and I had a great time during that. Now we are on the Individual Research Project, which for me is Waste Management. Regarding the course. It is really nice. One of the biggest when it comes to the number of students on it. I have had somewhere about 30-40 people during my Course, plus extra additional students from different courses. I think, that you will be happy and that you have chosen well. Campus itself is very nice and I think that you will enjoy time here. I hope, that I fulfill your question. Best regards Jakub
Samuelkika
Rep:
?
Dear Jakub,

Thanks for your comprehensive insight on the course. It really did help to answer my queries. I can't wait to start the program. Cheers!

Kika
Samuelkika
Rep:
?
Hello Jakub, I wish to know how possible it is to do a part time job in Cranfield during my program. Do you feel I will have the time considering the advanced mechanical engineering course work? What opportunities are available?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (178)
15.27%
Uncertainty around my education (192)
16.47%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (114)
9.78%
Isolating with family (80)
6.86%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (44)
3.77%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (99)
8.49%
Loneliness (114)
9.78%
Financial worries (52)
4.46%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (109)
9.35%
Exposure to negative news/social media (85)
7.29%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (99)
8.49%

Watched Threads