The Student Room Group

HELP!! London to Paris bike ride

So my school is doing a charity bike ride in September and I've agreed to do it.
It's over 3 days and we're riding in relay (10 miles on then a break) so it's not too bad.
Day 1: London to Brighton, break, then on to Newhaven to catch a ferry to Dieppe
Day 2: Dieppe to Méru, camp
Day 3: Méru to Paris

The only problem is I'VE NOT CYCLED IN 2/3 YEARS!!
So...can anyone give me any training tips for the next 4 1/2 months?
AND...any money raising ideas as we have to raise £250+ (some of which will be sponsors)
How far do you have to ride in a day? Just cycle. 10 miles is not far
Original post by doodle_333
How far do you have to ride in a day? Just cycle. 10 miles is not far

Not been told how far yet but it will probably be about 30-40 miles a day.
Reply 3
Original post by gryffindor_02

Doddle. That's not far at all.

Just get out on your bike and start getting used to the distances.

Find out what kind of pace they're expecting you to travel at and practise that.

You've got a few months and aren't going that far at any given time, so you should be fine.
Just start by trying to ride every day. Perhaps ride to school. Start small and build up the distance. Perhaps do some longer rides at the weekends (15 miles or more). Simply ride as much as you can.
Original post by elliot-99
Just start by trying to ride every day. Perhaps ride to school. Start small and build up the distance. Perhaps do some longer rides at the weekends (15 miles or more). Simply ride as much as you can.

School would be about 8 miles but all the routes I know are, in part, quite dangerous so I don't know if my parents would let me do it but a good idea anyway. Thanks :smile:

You'll be absolutely fine, that milage is completely doable without any real training, just get back into the swing of cycling so you're used to it.
10 mile sections will be easier than you think. With a bit of time in the saddle between now and then you’ll be fine. Will you have a support crew with you to deal with punctures etc?

I did an Ironman a couple of years ago. The longest bike ride I did before the event was about 9 miles. I still made it.
Original post by Duncan2012
10 mile sections will be easier than you think. With a bit of time in the saddle between now and then you’ll be fine. Will you have a support crew with you to deal with punctures etc?

I did an Ironman a couple of years ago. The longest bike ride I did before the event was about 9 miles. I still made it.

We'll have a minibus following with all the supplies in (+other riders) and then the teacher who is organising it is taking a few basic repair kits on his person as will the other teachers chaperoning as far as I'm aware.
My uni actually do a cycling trip but it's sort of the opposite... Tower to Tower they call it... from the Eiffel Tower (my uni is in Paris :tongue:) to the Blackpool Tower - often a lot of people that do it are in your situation and they do just fine :smile:

They usually just do some longer cycling sessions and make sure they have a sturdy bike to support them - they raise the money via Gofundme and stuff. Good luck!

It'll be fine. 40 miles isn't a lot. You'll just have a sore ass! Obviously cycle as much as possible between now and then and you're sorted.

Quick Reply

Latest