The Student Room Group

gcse history edexcel paper 3 sources?

i'm really confused about what exactly is meant by 'own knowledge' in question 3a/3d of paper 3? i'm doing usa, but in all my class assessments my teacher has always commented 'add own knowledge' on my work even though i've referenced a date or talked about another event in my answer. do i need to add actual statistics etc. because that's what someone told me to do once and i literally don't get it at all, i don't see how a random fact is going to fit in with my answers if that makes any sense. if you understand pleaseeee explain it thank you so much!
Original post by izzyrose23
i'm really confused about what exactly is meant by 'own knowledge' in question 3a/3d of paper 3? i'm doing usa, but in all my class assessments my teacher has always commented 'add own knowledge' on my work even though i've referenced a date or talked about another event in my answer. do i need to add actual statistics etc. because that's what someone told me to do once and i literally don't get it at all, i don't see how a random fact is going to fit in with my answers if that makes any sense. if you understand pleaseeee explain it thank you so much!

The question being asked.

Plus 3 bits of evidence that are different. the evidence gives you a partial picture and are useful only in certain ways.

Who made them, why, what information do they give, how reliable?

You are then allowed to add your own knowledge. This included what you know about the context and events of what's being discussed.

This gives you the advantage of being able to see the whole picture and setting the question and each piece of evidence in context. the sources are written at the time and they dont know what happens after or anything about the other two sources.

You do know what happened after or even have a better picture of what was going on at the time as you have the whole picture.

You use your own knowledge to fill in the gaps and put the evidence in context. Dont just comment on the three pieces but add in what you know about the period, event and people. It isnt really about stats, but your ability to know what the bigger picture is.
Original post by izzyrose23

for a broad statement your own knowledge is basically what you know about the question, that is shown in the sources.

if the question is on the significance of MLK then the sources will show juxtaposing views on him. in one it will be why he was an asset. something like his speeches which he used to express his opinion. this will make it useful because you know (for example) he was a skilled orator and could appeal to those with influence. this makes interpretation 1 useful because you know that he was. however, the source could say he was the sole reason for the success of the movement, which you know is false. all you have to include is why he wasnt the sole reason.

in conclusion, your knowledge is used to prove or disprove the interpretation and therefore prove or disprove the statement.

Quick Reply

Latest