Interview Q: "Tell me about a time you had to conform to a rigid procedure?"

Watch
Chrisruptor
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So for the question above, what would the interviewer be looking for?

Are they checking that you do indeed stick to procedure and don't try to bend the rules? Or that you are creative and work with the procedure, but in a way which improves the outcome? Or are they looking for you to use initiative to go against procedure when necessary?

I'm honestly not sure about this one. Any tips?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Chrisruptor)
So for the question above, what would the interviewer be looking for?

Are they checking that you do indeed stick to procedure and don't try to bend the rules? Or that you are creative and work with the procedure, but in a way which improves the outcome? Or are they looking for you to use initiative to go against procedure when necessary?

I'm honestly not sure about this one. Any tips?
Which situation is more relevant to the job?
Chrisruptor
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Which situation is more relevant to the job?
It's a job in finance. I don't know which is more relevant... I'm sure you could flip it either way. It's more answering it that I'm unsure about... i.e. If you go with trying to show how you stuck to the rules, then it may just be a case of "There was a strict procedure, I didn't believe in it but I followed that procedure anyway."

A similar question is "Tell me about a time you had to do something you didn't agree with".
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Chrisruptor)
It's a job in finance. I don't know which is more relevant... I'm sure you could flip it either way. It's more answering it that I'm unsure about... i.e. If you go with trying to show how you stuck to the rules, then it may just be a case of "There was a strict procedure, I didn't believe in it but I followed that procedure anyway."

A similar question is "Tell me about a time you had to do something you didn't agree with".
I'm pretty sure they will be after the rule following approach! Now is not the time to appear to be keen to be creative with the rules in the finance industry.

They are looking for you to follow the rules and rationalise why, although perhaps at first sight they are a pain, or difficult, or burdensome etc, there is an underlying reason that protects the greater good in some way. So the new money laundering requirements might be a pain when they slow down previously simple official processes, but if we radically reduce fraud, money laundering etc, then precise following of the rules are a small price to pay. Though i'm sure better examples are available!
Chrisruptor
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
I'm pretty sure they will be after the rule following approach! Now is not the time to appear to be keen to be creative with the rules in the finance industry.

They are looking for you to follow the rules and rationalise why, although perhaps at first sight they are a pain, or difficult, or burdensome etc, there is an underlying reason that protects the greater good in some way. So the new money laundering requirements might be a pain when they slow down previously simple official processes, but if we radically reduce fraud, money laundering etc, then precise following of the rules are a small price to pay. Though i'm sure better examples are available!
This question turned out to be the first question I was asked, and this did indeed seem to be the reasoning behind them asking it. I was asked a follow-on question of why I thought that procedure was in place and the importance of following it. Glad I prepared an answer for it, because some of my answers to other questions left a lot to be desired!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (557)
33.98%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (676)
41.24%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (331)
20.2%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.58%

Watched Threads