The Student Room Group

Equivalency testing

Hi
Writing just for info.

I was given a conditional offer from UCL for PGCE maths and had to sit in English equivalency test.
Though I bought 3 books but the best were Aqa unseen poetry and Mr bruff English lit.
I found Mr.Bruff videos on YouTube very helpful and for poetry BBC bitesize was great for sample questions.
And I passed the test with level 8 💃

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi! Congratulations! I have my exam this Saturday, and I'm worried about time...Can I ask you how much did you write for each of the reading questions? And for poems? Because I'm scared I won't write enough, but also that I'll run out of time.
Also, how long did it take to get your results back?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
I am taking my biology equivalency tomorrow. So nervous.
Reply 3
Hi I noticed you have done your biology equivalency. Did you do this with equivalency testing? If so could you please let me know what sort of things are in the exam. I have 6 weeks to do the exam and really unsure on what to revise
Thanks
Thank you for your generosity.I am going to sit for English equivalency in 2 weeks time. As I am not native English speaker, I am extremely worried about the exam, especially the poetry part. Do you have any tips for me?Thanks
Thank you for your generosity.I am going to sit for English equivalency in 2 weeks time. As I am not native English speaker, I am extremely worried about the exam, especially the poetry part. Do you have any tips for me?Thanks
Original post by Selamleki

Can you please tell me about your experience? Even I not native English speaker. The kind of questions that were asked.
Reply 7
Original post by Wantobeateacher
Can you please tell me about your experience? Even I not native English speaker. The kind of questions that were asked.

Hi everyone. I have been looking at taking English science and Maths exam with equivalency testing . Com. Which did you use? And what are the costs? I can’t find any information on costs.

Many thanks
Terry
Original post by TerryA
Hi everyone. I have been looking at taking English science and Maths exam with equivalency testing . Com. Which did you use? And what are the costs? I can’t find any information on costs.

Many thanks
Terry

I paid £150 for the exam last year. £30 non-refundable deposit and paid rest on the day. I could have paid an additional £300 for course material but i chose to study myself and passed with grade 7. I had to email to them to get the info and application form.
Reply 9
How long did it take to got their exam results they have said 2 weeks which is a bit long as i need to tell my training provider
Hi, will you be able to advise what kind of materials you used for the exam? AQA past papers? Thanks.
Original post by rachelgw
I paid £150 for the exam last year. £30 non-refundable deposit and paid rest on the day. I could have paid an additional £300 for course material but i chose to study myself and passed with grade 7. I had to email to them to get the info and application form.

Hi, will u be able to advise which materials u used? Thanks a lot
Original post by rachelgw

Hi. Will u able to advise what materials u used for self-study? For the writing task b, how many words u wrote? Thanks.
Original post by Mark888888
Hi, will u be able to advise which materials u used? Thanks a lot

I did the single biology which is based on edexcel material. The combined is based on AQA Higher. This info is found on the equivalencytesting website when you look at the course you are interested in.

For the combined i recommend this book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1789085772/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_nO1dFb61R1RJV

Its the same type book for single biology, just the edexcel version. I focused on the questions at the end of each chapter and did a couple past papers that they sent to me. Past papers can be found online too.

Unsure what your question is re word count, i did not do the course they offered if this is what you are referring too. Let me know if you have other queries.

Good luck!
Reply 14
Hi I'm looking to do 2 equivalency testing courses and unless I'm confused you have to send the work back by post and I was wondering if you absolutely have to send it by post or if you can email it? I'm living in France and with Brexit posting the work back to the U.K. will get very expensive after a while
Reply 15
Original post by Rebcorb
Hi I'm looking to do 2 equivalency testing courses and unless I'm confused you have to send the work back by post and I was wondering if you absolutely have to send it by post or if you can email it? I'm living in France and with Brexit posting the work back to the U.K. will get very expensive after a while

Hi Reb.

I recently completed a Higher Biology Test through ET. You can scan the weekly homeworks and email it to ET and they tbf, do provide quick/detailed feedback/supplementary answers/notes (also via email). All of their feedback and supplementary notes really proved invaluable exam prep for me. By the way, the weekly homeworks are in effect, excellent exam preparation questions.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Kalbi
Hi Reb.

I recently completed a Higher Biology Test through ET. You can scan the weekly homeworks and email it to ET and they tbf, do provide quick/detailed feedback/supplementary answers/notes (also via email). All of their feedback and supplementary notes really proved invaluable exam prep for me. By the way, the weekly homeworks are in effect, excellent exam preparation questions.

I've read a couple of bad reviews and I'm quite nervous about transferring that much money. Did you have a good experience with them?
Reply 17
Original post by Rebcorb
I've read a couple of bad reviews hi and I'm quite nervous about transferring that much money. Did you have a good experience with them?

Everything I paid for, I was given, without any issues. The homeworks were also marked on time and returned with excellent feedback. They are a reputable company used and recognised by most UK Universities, no way would they ever try to do anything dodgy, for sure everything is above board and as it should be.

For my own situation, I got the result 2 days after I did the exam, after paying for a 25 pounds fast track fee.

I think the bad reviews were about poor communication from ET. I personally didn't have any issues but then again, everyone has different expectations.

Why not get in contact with ET, ask a few questions and then take it from there?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Kalbi
Everything I paid for, I was given, without any issues. The homeworks were also marked on time and returned with excellent feedback. They are a reputable company used and recognised by most UK Universities, no way would they ever try to do anything dodgy, for sure everything is above board and as it should be.

For my own situation, I got the result 2 days after I did the exam, after paying for a 25 pounds fast track fee.

I think the bad reviews were about poor communication from ET. I personally didn't have any issues but then again, everyone has different expectations.

Why not get in contact with ET, ask a few questions and then take it from there?

I have and some questions they get back really quickly and others I haven't had a reply from. But thanks so much for your help it's really eased my mind
Reply 19
Original post by Rebcorb
I have and some questions they get back really quickly and others I haven't had a reply from. But thanks so much for your help it's really eased my mind

You're welcome.

Just a quick update as well....I did the exam on Friday, paid for it 2 days later on Sunday morning with the 48 hour fast track exam fee of 25 pounds. I received the result the same Sunday evening via email and I received the Certificate 2 days later on the Tuesday. All in all, very pleased with that.

My own opinion is that in the past, their communication was poor and because all of their exams were face-to-face, they didn't provide a great customer service online. However, since the pandemic, their whole operation has shifted online. Consequently, I believe that they have really had to up their game, which to be fair, it looks like they have done.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending