The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Reply 2
I am also wondering about this.. I never thought that I had a problem with my posture but now that I've seen a similar image I can kind of see a resemblance from the picture and with myself. I think the cause of the problem for me is that I've been sitting at a computer desk for so long.. :p:
Reply 3
futuristicmilo
I am also wondering about this.. I never thought that I had a problem with my posture but now that I've seen a similar image I can kind of see a resemblance in myself. I think the cause of the problem for me is that I've been sitting at a computer desk for so long.. :p:

Yeah and it's pretty bad for me as we've had a laptop for YEARS at home (and now at uni), and I'm pretty tall so I'm like an eagle looking down on it. Doesn't exactly do wonders for my neck and posture.
Reply 4
Anonymous
Yeah and it's pretty bad for me as we've had a laptop for YEARS at home (and now at uni), and I'm pretty tall so I'm like an eagle looking down on it. Doesn't exactly do wonders for my neck and posture.

We'll sort this one out together, eh? :smile:
Reply 5
I'm just wondering whether it actually CAN be corrected because it's obviously occured over years.. would any subsequent correction (through exercises etc.) take a similar length of time? :rolleyes:
Reply 6
Post a pic from the front it might not look that bad. The best thing to do is go and see a physio.
Reply 7
Reply 8
futuristicmilo

So could you do, say, all those exercises together in the morning? Every day?
Reply 9
Anonymous
So could you do, say, all those exercises together in the morning? Every day?

I'd probably do them in the evenings as part as any other exercises I do to improve my overall fitness. Then again, you don't necessarily have to do all of them. :smile:
Reply 10
futuristicmilo
I'd probably do them in the evenings as part as any other exercises I do to improve my overall fitness. Then again, you don't necessarily have to do all of them. :smile:

Haha I do the sum total of zero exercises at the moment :biggrin:
Reply 11
How long before we would see a visible (not total) improvement?
Reply 12
Anonymous
How long before we would see a visible (not total) improvement?

I'm not sure about this, I'll do a bit of research later. :smile:
Reply 13
Okay, if you're too lazy to do any exercises, as a starting point put a rolled up towel across the bottom of your back (just above your hips) whilst sitting on a chair. But you really should do the exercises - you need to realign the spine to how it should be, and whilst the towel is a start, the exercises work on strengthening the muscles to support the spine properly.

If need advice on this, I'd suggest either seeing an Osteopath or Physiotherapist. My preference would lie with the former, but you'd have to pay (although probably less than you think, go and look it up), typically for 2-3 sessions. If you think it's worth it though, I'd encourage you to consider it :smile:. The advantage of physio is that you might be able to get it on the NHS if your GP actually thinks it's bad enough to be treated - if it's not actually causing problems now, then your chances of being referred are substantially diminished. If you got referred you'd be looking at a few months of waiting lists but would get treated for free. See how you go on with sorting it out yourself, anyhow, just don't do what I did and leave back problems untreated for many years - a twinge now and again developed into chronic pain, spasms and impaired leg function (I need a wheelchair) and rather than treating a simple problem earlier, like you have the opportunity to do now, I'm now awaiting an MRI and possible surgery.
Reply 14
What warm-up, if any, would I need to do before I do the exercises?
Reply 15
I wasn't advised to do any - the postural exercises themselves are, if you look at them, the sort of things one would do as a warm-up before normal exercise.

Latest

Trending

Trending