?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
What A levels should I chose for law?
Issakatie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
mix of subjects is good I think an essay subject is quite good because that will be useful when u r a lawyer
Lukem14
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Issakatie)
mix of subjects is good I think an essay subject is quite good because that will be useful when u r a lawyer
Thanks I've thought of taking
Sociology
Psychology
History
Also thought of law but apparently it isn't good
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Any "traditionally academic" subjects - pretty much any subject which is primarily assessed by end of year written examination will normally be fine, including STEM subjects and languages. The main things to avoid (or at least avoid taking more than one of) are "applied"/vocational subjects (like Accounting, Music Technology, Textiles, ICT rather than Computer Science, sometimes Business Studies) and creative arts subjects (Music, Art, Drama). The latter subjects tend to be more acceptable to take as a third option, compared with the former.

Additionally avoid excessive curriculum overlap or extremely narrow focus - for example, taking both Economics and Business Studies, or Maths and Further Maths, with only one other subject. Double maths is sometimes acceptable as part of three subjects, but some universities have expressed a preference or requirement FM be taken only as a fourth option in this case. Most of the ~upper quarter of universities as generally "ranked" won't consider Economics and Business Studies as two separate subjects. English Lit and Language taken as two separate subjects may be simialrly regarded, however the "joint" LitLand A-level is usually acceptable. Some universities have in the past regarded English Language to be somewhat "applied"/vocational so it may fall under the previous commentary - I would suggest the combined LitLang option, or just English Lit, if you're considering English in some capacity.

However generally most things are fine - STEM subjects (bio/chem/phys/maths/FM with reference to the above exception), essay based subjects (English Lit/History/Geography/Economics/G&P/Psychology/RS/Sociology/Philosophy/etc, etc) languages (both modern and classical), etc, etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (438)
56.3%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.7%

Watched Threads