The Student Room Group

How often one needs to attend the university during a PhD?

I know this will greatly depend on your area / university / supervisor ( in my case it will be mathematics and Edinburgh ) but I am trying to figure out whether I will be able to go back home to London outside of typical holidays, say during the weekend plus an extra day or two from time to time. With maths, I really don't see why can't I just read the papers and work at home instead.

Outside of some teaching and weekly / fortnightly meetings with the supervisor and seminars / workshops which I think are not very frequent is there something that would require a student to be present at their desk?
Reply 1
Original post by hassassin04
I know this will greatly depend on your area / university / supervisor ( in my case it will be mathematics and Edinburgh ) but I am trying to figure out whether I will be able to go back home to London outside of typical holidays, say during the weekend plus an extra day or two from time to time. With maths, I really don't see why can't I just read the papers and work at home instead.

Outside of some teaching and weekly / fortnightly meetings with the supervisor and seminars / workshops which I think are not very frequent is there something that would require a student to be present at their desk?

Not really, at least at the uni I am in.
Original post by hassassin04

This is something to negotiate with your supervisor. You may have to be around on certain days for supervision to teach or to take part in training or other dept activities. It's also a good idea to use uni resources to develop yourself for your future career.
Reply 3
Hi there, I'm a first year PhD student who also has no need for labs or anything. I work at home for a couple of days a week and at the office for a couple of days a week. The only rule we have is that you must be there for departmental seminars etc. I have also gone home occasionally on a Thursday, but I often work in evenings and weekends so I didn't feel guilty :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending