Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What do I do?
    Has anyone had really frequent nosebleeds? Like several in a day.
    If so, how long did it last for, ask it how many days did this continue? Was something done to stop it or did it stop on its own?

ReputationRep:
    Dont worry about it, i went through a phase of having loads, i mean several in a day, every day.
    They are sooo annoying but they will stop, i dealt with them by just always having a tissue close to hand to cover my nose with (getting blood on schoolbooks unexpectedly was always a pain), then if you have the chance, tip your head right back, that stops it bleeding so badly.
    The phase will pass eventually

ReputationRep:
    My advice to you would be to go to the doctor (but then, that is said in most of the medically related threads here).

My reasoning is that, depending on what you were doing, it seems to be showing that either the skin in your nose is thinning, and not being able to hold back the blood, to the blood is not clotting properly. Either way, it is something to be worried about.

Also, the way you worded it sounds like this is a fairly recent occurance, and, if something in your body changes suddenly, and , more importantly, unexpectedly, for no readily apparent reason, it is usually a good idea to find out why.

On the other hand (you have different fingers!) I am not a medical professional, and have no medical training besides GCSE biology and emergency first aid, so hey.

ReputationRep:
    I've never had one :-/

ReputationRep:
    I only get nose bleeds when I'm stressed - ie my blood pressure is high. Could this be a factor?

It does sound a bit worrying, I would get it checked out just to be safe, it may well be a sign of something not quite right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Zed)
    Dont worry about it, i went through a phase of having loads, i mean several in a day, every day.
    They are sooo annoying but they will stop, i dealt with them by just always having a tissue close to hand to cover my nose with (getting blood on schoolbooks unexpectedly was always a pain), then if you have the chance, tip your head right back, that stops it bleeding so badly.
    The phase will pass eventually
    Ok firstly DO NOT TIP your head back, you may choke!
    Pinch your nose above the boney bit where its soft between your eyes.
    Apply something cold to your nose ie frozen peas, if the bleeding does not stop you need to go to the hospital to have it cortorized, if you have more then 4 nose bleeds in a week then see your GP.

Most of all DONT PANIC!

The flow of blood normally stops when the blood clots, which may be encouraged by direct pressure and reducing the blood pressure in the head by sitting upright with the head tilted forward for about 10 minutes. Tilting the head back is not advised, as it can lead to blood flowing into the respiratory system, and possibly resulting in death or vomiting. http://www.medic8.com/healthguide/ar...osebleeds.html

hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaylei)
    Ok firstly DO NOT TIP your head back
    Agreed. Tipping your head back will cause you to swallow the blood and if theres a lot of it you might vomit up that blood and thats when the panicking really starts!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue Rose)
    What do I do?
    Has anyone had really frequent nosebleeds? Like several in a day.
    If so, how long did it last for, ask it how many days did this continue? Was something done to stop it or did it stop on its own?
    I don't want to scare you unnecessarily but if you get bad nose bleeds frequently (and I mean over more than just 1 day) then you must go to a doctor. I meet online someone who had lots of nose bleeds and it turned out that he had cancer. Happily he is now in remission.

Sorry for scarring the **** out of you, when 99.99% chance it is nothing. But you did ask.

ReputationRep:
    I've never had one. But if you lose a lot of blood, see your doctor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    I don't want to scare you unnecessarily but if you get bad nose bleeds frequently (and I mean over more than just 1 day) then you must go to a doctor. I meet online someone who had lots of nose bleeds and it turned out that he had cancer. Happily he is now in remission.

Sorry for scarring the **** out of you, when 99.99% chance it is nothing. But you did ask.
    Yeah that's what i was thinking as well. But as you say it is extremely unlikely, and i think that they are very bad if this is the cause - far worse than normal.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, do NOT tilt your head back. The blood flows directly down your throat. Eugh.

As a child, my nose used to bleed around the clock which meant that I was well aquainted familiar with the school nurse. Another eugh. Anyway one day it just wouldn't stop and I got taken to the A&E as I was losing too much blood. They arranged an appointment with a doctor of some kind who did something to the veins with an uber long instrument. It was a very quick procedure, and I've never had a repeat eversince. See your doctor.

ReputationRep:
    See your Dr. and get silver nitrate to fix the fragile blood vessels. 5 minutes of stinging = no more nosebleeds.

ReputationRep:
    Seen a doctor. He reckons it is part of the cold and it will go and that my body will recompensate for the blood loss and not to worry about becoming anaemic. He said I'd have to lose pints.
    Just had another one...but that is because I was trying to clean the nostril that keeps having the bleed. He said once the clot is removed there'll be a bit of bleeding, but I had to try and clean it a bit. I can't go to lectures with that visible clot.
    The clot's still there (that's the only thing stopping the bleed tbh) and I've managed to clean around the inside of my nostril so that it isn't visible (unless I lift my head right up and someone stares at me for a long time).
    So it's alright at the mo.
    Let's see what happens...

ReputationRep:
    Forgot to say, my blood pressure was checked last night and it was normal 'for someone my age' apparently.
    If this continues I am going to be confined to my room. It's going to mess up everything. I can't do any strenous activities for 24 hours or something. I think I'm going to give em all a miss for a week coz I don't want it happening again

One of my number one fears has always been nosebleeds since I used to have em like crazy as a kid (had cauterisation and it stopped), and because they are so inconvenient. The fear has got worse now that I'm getting one after another...

About the tilting back/forward thing, I'd always been told backward and the 2nd one I had it was almost choking me. Going down the back of my throat and I couldn't swallow fast enough, til my friend told me the right thing.
    K, think it's starting a little again bye

ReputationRep:
    k, its fine, gunna try and get ready and stuff

ReputationRep:
    one of my best friends suffers from severe nose bleeds... they arent little ones...they are MAJOR ones....if they are heavy nose bleeds go to the doctor as there may be something wrong with the tissue in your nose.... take it from there....it may be nothing but its better to be safer then sorry

i used to get loads of nose bleeds, i went to my gp who refered me to hospital, had some minor op on my nose and now i rarely have them. definatly chat to your gp

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I think they have stopped.
    Think I was worrying a bit too much.

But I don't remember having so many in such a short time.

I read something about dry, indoor air or something. Think that played a factor. Has been quite stuffy in my room (the uni control the heating) and opening the window seemed to have no effect.

I used to have the idea that if I was too hot I'd get a nosebleed. Dunno, but I still kinda go by that theory. All 3 times I had them I was wearing quite a few layers. You know how when u have a cold and you think it's freezing but it's not? Then I started burning up. Think I had a fever anyway. Stopped me from sleeping. I had to remove virtually everything and sleep semi covered before I was cool enough and checking the heating...it was off, so it was just me and my fever.lol

But YAY, I think I'm all better!!!
    :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    whenver i drink a lot of coca cola im guranteed a nosebleed (no its not the caffeine, pepsi is fine).. so maybe try not to drink coke ?

also when my face starts to burn up badly like you said i get a nosebleed, like it goes hot cold hot cold

ReputationRep:
    My mate used to be able to squeeze his nose and BOOM nose bleed.... no more boring english lesson :P

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.