IB Subject Choices Watch

liz1389
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am taking IB next year and I really want to study psychology in uni as I want to be a clinical psychologist. Will my options allow me to take psychology?
-HL Psychology -HL Biology -HL Geography -SL Math Studies -SL English Lit/Lang -Ab Japanese
And could could you please tell what it's like to do HL Psychology
Thank you
kiragian
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi ! I’m taking IB in three months and HL psych is one of my course selection because I also wanted to major psychology and become a neuropsychologist or art therapist or psychology based career. Yes I would say HL Bio and Psych are relevant but I think LangLit can be in HL because a psych major needs to read a lot and able to analyze the statistics and datas or patient. We had a really good IB psych orientation few months ago and the psych teacher said it’s mostly writing , analyzing , collecting datas , and experiments. And HL psych is more like a research based subject that you need time to collect datas and analyze them as well as the tests and exams . All the IB Psych test papers are in essay form . Good luck to you too!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
liz1389
Rep:
?
(Original post by kiragian)
Hi ! I’m taking IB in three months and HL psych is one of my course selection because I also wanted to major psychology and become a neuropsychologist or art therapist or psychology based career. Yes I would say HL Bio and Psych are relevant but I think LangLit can be in HL because a psych major needs to read a lot and able to analyze the statistics and datas or patient. We had a really good IB psych orientation few months ago and the psych teacher said it’s mostly writing , analyzing , collecting datas , and experiments. And HL psych is more like a research based subject that you need time to collect datas and analyze them as well as the tests and exams . All the IB Psych test papers are in essay form . Good luck to you too!
Thanks! I'm really jealous you had an orientation our school's orientation got cancelled. I was going to take HL geography because I really enjoy it my geography teacher who will be teaching me next year also said that geography will be good as there are lots of essay based question and analytical data questions like psychology.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes that subject combination is fine - in general, any IB combination will be suitable as there are no "hard" prerequisites to pursue Psychology at uni (certainly not the subject itself beforehand, although it may give you an idea of whether you want to pursue it). Sometimes courses find a scientific and/or mathematical background "helpful", however as the IB includes this by default unlike A-levels you already have that angle covered. Maths studies will probably suffice for most courses, although you may want to consider taking SL if you have your sights set on Oxbridge (specifically PBS at Cambridge - you will need SL at least, if not HL, along with two sciences, for Natural Sciences Psychology at Cambridge).

Unfortunately I can't really provide any insight into HL Psych as they changed the syllabus the year after I took it (and possibly since then again :s ). The "version" I took I found some content interesting and some less interesting; overall I slightly wished I'd chosen another subject, although this may have been partly down to the teacher and the old spec (and what options we were doing - we did psychodynamic and social psychology which were extremely boring imo, however again this may not be relevant to the new spec anyway). However I largely took it because I hadn't done Geography or History before and those were the only other options for group 3 at my school
liz1389
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Yes that subject combination is fine - in general, any IB combination will be suitable as there are no "hard" prerequisites to pursue Psychology at uni (certainly not the subject itself beforehand, although it may give you an idea of whether you want to pursue it). Sometimes courses find a scientific and/or mathematical background "helpful", however as the IB includes this by default unlike A-levels you already have that angle covered. Maths studies will probably suffice for most courses, although you may want to consider taking SL if you have your sights set on Oxbridge (specifically PBS at Cambridge - you will need SL at least, if not HL, along with two sciences, for Natural Sciences Psychology at Cambridge).

Unfortunately I can't really provide any insight into HL Psych as they changed the syllabus the year after I took it (and possibly since then again :s ). The "version" I took I found some content interesting and some less interesting; overall I slightly wished I'd chosen another subject, although this may have been partly down to the teacher and the old spec (and what options we were doing - we did psychodynamic and social psychology which were extremely boring imo, however again this may not be relevant to the new spec anyway). However I largely took it because I hadn't done Geography or History before and those were the only other options for group 3 at my school
Thanks for the advice! I really want to go to this universtiy in Austarlia and the universty site said that I can enter the psychology course with math studies. But the site said nothing about the other subjects. Could you please tell me how you're experince was like taking the IB?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by liz1389)
Thanks for the advice! I really want to go to this universtiy in Austarlia and the universty site said that I can enter the psychology course with math studies. But the site said nothing about the other subjects. Could you please tell me how you're experince was like taking the IB?
If it says nothing about other subjects then they shouldn't care. The Australian system is a bit different from my understanding and students seem to study a broader array of subjects up to the end of their schooling as in the US and in the IB programme, although I can't speak to the depth and breadth in each subject.

IB was hard, there isn't really any way around that. The difficulty is not (necessarily) from disciplinary knowledge being particularly complex or anything, it's just the balancing act of all your subjects and keeping on top of things. Some subjects/combinations were considered more difficult at the time I took IB, although my impression is at least one of those (HL Maths) has been considerably diluted since then.

However Maths Studies, if you have GCSE Maths or similar to B or higher, is basically a joke as most of the material you'll have already covered in some capacity. The pace isn't very quick and it's pretty basic, the "applied" problems with calculus (which were at the time I took it of the slightly wordy variety) are probably the only thing that can really trip you up in an exam. So by taking that you immediately have something of an easier time...your HL subjects are all very "information heavy" however so that might cancel out a little.

It wasn't a bad experience per se, but it certainly wasn't an easy one by any stretch. I certainly worked "harder" in IB than I did at any point in uni (although that may be neither here nor there ) due to the large amount of ongoing work and high number of contact hours.

However, it certainly had its benefits - I could actually write reasonably organised extended prose and properly cite and reference material, unlike the majority of other students on my engineering course. Others who did IB (from my school that I knew anyway) have indicated similar experiences - one of my sister's friends said she had a leg up in her medical degree because she was actually able to write an essay from the get go, and another of her peers said having done HL Maths meant she basically was teaching her coursemates the core mathematical methods to her coursemates. Another friend of mine who did HL Maths (back before they reorganised the content/structure considerably) said because she'd done that she basically barely had to revise her first year engineering maths exams and got easy 1sts in them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (160)
17.66%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.61%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.6%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.13%

Watched Threads