The Student Room Group

Forgot to include my bibliography for my dissertation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Submitted my dissertation a week ago, just been looking at it and realised I forgot to include my whole bibliography? Am I going to fail?!

Scroll to see replies

Oh dear.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reply 3
Original post by ivy73638
Submitted my dissertation a week ago, just been looking at it and realised I forgot to include my whole bibliography? Am I going to fail?!

Yes you will very likely get a poor grade.

Unluckeeeeeee
Reply 4
There must be a cap on the marks I'll lose though right?

You've failed. You don't have anything to say where you got your references from so you can't prove you've done the reading, plus as you haven't referenced it looks like you've used other people's words and work as your own.

There must be a cap on the marks I'll lose though right?

No, even the minimum learning objectives will require you to reference and show this properly. It's a basic standard of university work.
Reply 6
Original post by Glassapple
You've failed. You don't have anything to say where you got your references from so you can't prove you've done the reading, plus as you haven't referenced it looks like you've used other people's words and work as your own.

I have in-text citations so I haven't exactly been passing off other work as my own?
I have in-text citations so I haven't exactly been passing off other work as my own?

Read my edited post above. Referencing is what they tell you to do in the very first essay. It's an integral part of any essay and you can't pass without it, especially not the dissertation. The dissertation is the most serious piece of work you'll ever write at undergraduate level so they expect you to be referencing properly and actually showing what you've done in a bibliography. Without doing this you'll have failed instantly.

Email/ring/go see your supervisor/the student office right away and explain.
Original post by alleycat393
Email/ring/go see your supervisor/the student office right away and explain.

That really won't make a shred of difference. If the deadline has passed on Turnitin this is a submission like any other where the university will not do anything about it. It's completely this person's fault this has happened so the university will not be sympathetic. The best they can hope for is to be allowed a resubmission capped at 40% in the summer.
(edited 5 years ago)
Was this electronically submitted and you had your bibliography saved as another document? or did you not think to check that all the pages in your bound copies matched up with your contents? Contents with major headings, e.g. intro, method, results etc,is the first thing i make then i go back and add the sub-headings at the end. Then i go through and check that all the headings and sub-headings in the contents are on the right pages and nothing has gone screwy somewhere.

Also I when i write i first have a separate document for my bibliography, made using refworks, but I move them across to the main document after every section I complete and then check them against their citations (can depend on your referencing style). Basically I really don't see how you can miss out your bibliography because its the sort of thing i check 100 times to make sure its accurate, something you only need to do once to realize it's not there...

Speak to someone. Whoever you submitted it to. See if it’s too late to mail over your bibliography. Otherwise, you’re not gonna do well without one.
Original post by Glassapple
That really won't make a shred of difference. If the deadline has passed on Turnitin this is a submission like any other where the university will not do anything about it. It's completely this person's fault this has happened so the university will not be sympathetic. The best they can hope for is to be allowed a resubmission capped at 40% in the summer.

Hun, your fear mongering is really not helping here. Unless you know the OP and their situation and unis regulations inside out I suggest you leave well alone.

People make genuine mistakes.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 13
I'd be surprised if it didn't hit your grade significantly. In our place we could in principle fail it on that.

Are you definitely sure you forgot the bibliography? Did submit a hard copy and one electronically? Is it missing from the bound copy as well as the electronic submission?

I would get in contact with your supervisor ASAP and explain what's happened. They may be able to help you.
Best thing for you to do is go and speak to your tutor or whoever you need to and explain what happened and if anything can be done. Good luck.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by alleycat393
Hun, your fear mongering is really not helping here. Unless you know the OP and their situation and unis regulations inside out I suggest you leave well alone.

People make genuine mistakes.

Exactly.

Hello,
Am sure you would be fine, i think the best option would be to contact your module leader and explain it to them, bibliography is not included in your word count, so maybe you would be allowed to send it to them?
Also have a look at your marking criteria, i am sure 10% of the marks are from referencing so it shouldn't affect your grade to much.
Have you emailed anyone at the moment?

Submit an errata.
Reply 19
Thanks to everyone who suggested I should email/speak to the relevant persons... I would have probably continued to panic and done nothing about it. And yeah, the fear-mongering really didn't help...

I sent an email and they accepted the bibliography. I'm not sure if marks will be deducted yet (most likely - but I accept responsibility). I think I might have avoided the plagiarism charge though. Thank god.

The dissertation is marked on different aspects. Referencing is one of them so there is a cap.

Electronic submission only. I have had a difficult and taxing year, and admittedly, my dissertation was not up to standards. However, I have received good marks in all other coursework so it's not like I'm graduating with a third or something a. I'll let you know if this debacle has massively affected my dissertation mark though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending