Turn on thread page Beta

Minibus lisence. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How much does it cost?
    I currently have a full driving liscence, but have been thinking of upgrading to the minibus/van category for a number of reasons, I just want to know from people who have done it, how expensive is it to upgrade, I think it involves lessons and the like, and how does hiring and self-driving rates compare with an excess of taxis and the other requirements of transporting reasonably large quantities of people around?

Thanks for any help.

ReputationRep:
    I thought once you've had your license for a set number of years you are upgraded automatically providing its under a certain weight and has no more than 16 seats?

ReputationRep:
    No, I think that you have certain categories, and need to do other tests to upgrade to a different one, but the full license for the previous category acts as the provisional for the next. I gleaned that much from the DVLA site. It's not the most helpful site.

ReputationRep:
    It has probably all changed . I know my dad can legaly drive minibues and he just has a bog standard licence.

ReputationRep:
    You need a C CE or D licence - I think its a CE to carry over 9 peopel - it is confusing

AFAIK you need to take a new theory and practical but no idea what the costs are!

It all changed in 1997 when they restriced all sorts of vehicles that peopl could drive without further testing

ReputationRep:
    What about transit size vans?

ReputationRep:
    You can drive a 16 seater minibus on a class B licence. However, only 8 of the seats may be ocupied. You can do what is known as a MIDAS test which will allow you to fill the minibus but you may not drive the fully occupied bus for reward. The only way you can drive a full 16 seater AND earn money is by doing at CAT C.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    You can drive a 16 seater minibus on a class B licence. However, only 8 of the seats may be ocupied. You can do what is known as a MIDAS test which will allow you to fill the minibus but you may not drive the fully occupied bus for reward. The only way you can drive a full 16 seater AND earn money is by doing at CAT C.
    I think its Cat D. Or i've been driving buses and coaches illegally!

ReputationRep:
    Think Mark's right, pretty sure cat C is HGV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    I thought once you've had your license for a set number of years you are upgraded automatically providing its under a certain weight and has no more than 16 seats?
    No

there is NO automatic upgrading for C1 ever at all.

there is a Derogation for private/ not for profit and S.19 D1 minibus use but it's not a blanket D1 exemption either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    You can drive a 16 seater minibus on a class B licence. However, only 8 of the seats may be ocupied.
    Incorrect

You can do what is known as a MIDAS test which will allow you to fill the minibus but you may not drive the fully occupied bus for reward.
    you are not required to undertake MIDAS training and assessment (not a test ... although you can fail it ) to claim the derogation, however there are few organisations which will allow you to claim the exemptions offered by the derogation without MIDAS

The only way you can drive a full 16 seater AND earn money is by doing at CAT C.
    incorrect

cat C is for goods vehicles

cat D is for passenger carryign vehicles, you can drive a 16 +driver PCV on a full D1

however it's rarely cost effective to do C1 or D1 vs the full ticket ( the exception is 18-21 year olds who need C1 for Paramedic pre-registration courses)

ReputationRep:
    You just have to take practical test, my dad did it, but it was paid for by his company so we haven't a clue how much it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    What about transit size vans?
    if the MAM is less than 3500kg you can drive it on a cat B licence anyway.

most transit vans are <3500kg , 200 and 300 series Sprinters are <3500kg, ( beware 400 series sprinters and any with twin rear wheels) 28/32/35 masters are <3500kg as are the badge engineered masters ( there';s a few 3900 kg chassis cab masters about) the pug/cit/fiat is also 3500kg on a van or factory chassis cab...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    It has probably all changed . I know my dad can legaly drive minibues and he just has a bog standard licence.
    given he probably passed before 1997 he will have at least D1 (not for hire or reward) and if he holds any other vocational licence for have a full D1 ...

i passed in 1996 and have B+E, C1, C1+E (8250kg) D1(NfH+R) and D1+E (NfH+R) as well as B an d the wierd and wonderful minor Uk only cats ( stuff like mowers and street sweepers )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    given he probably passed before 1997 he will have at least D1 (not for hire or reward) and if he holds any other vocational licence for have a full D1 ...

i passed in 1996 and have B+E, C1, C1+E (8250kg) D1(NfH+R) and D1+E (NfH+R) as well as B an d the wierd and wonderful minor Uk only cats ( stuff like mowers and street sweepers )
    He passed in 1971, he sometimes used to have to drive a minibus for work but there were not many passengers in it and it was not for reward, i.e he voluntered and he didn't get paid extra for doing that.

ReputationRep:
    hi

i am going to do D and C categories soon

my advice to you is do the full cat D as it is more cost effective, and you are able to drive up to manual coach (top vehical).

the cost is dependant on the school where to do the lessons, also becareful which schools you choose, to make sure you dont have dodgey people.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 21, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.