The Student Room Group

Native speakers taking language A-levels

@Doonesbury I tried to contact Cambridge admissions and college admissions on do they accept native speaker's language A-level as a fourth subject, but none have replied, please help.

FYI I wish to read Economics at Corpus

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by JackFu
@Doonesbury I tried to contact Cambridge admissions and college admissions on do they accept native speaker's language A-level as a fourth subject, but none have replied, please help.

When did you contact them? It's entirely up to individual colleges, but ask more than one college...

And if it's a 4th A-level it won't form part of an offer anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
When did you contact them? It's entirely up to individual colleges, but ask more than one college...

And if it's a 4th A-level it won't form part of an offer anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

People do get 4 and 5 A-level offers from Cambridge
Reply 3
Original post by dinglebells
People do get 4 and 5 A-level offers from Cambridge

Source me evidence of a recent 5 A-level offer.

For Economics I very much doubt a native language (as a 4th A-level) would be included in an offer, but as I said, OP should ask a few colleges.
Source me evidence of a recent 5 A-level offer.

For Economics I very much doubt a native language (as a 4th A-level) would be included in an offer, but as I said, OP should ask a few colleges.

While technically not a 5 A-level offer, my friend got an offer for Economics of A*A*AA including Further Maths but excluding Maths (which is practically guaranteed to be an A* anyway as he has done most of the modules). So its practically a 5 A-level offer.
Reply 5
While technically not a 5 A-level offer, my friend got an offer for Economics of A*A*AA including Further Maths but excluding Maths (which is practically guaranteed to be an A* anyway as he has done most of the modules). So its practically a 5 A-level offer.

What do you mean "excluding Maths"? Do you mean they specifed the A* in FM but didn't specify an A* for Maths? If so that's no uncommon, and isn't a 5 A-level offer.
What do you mean "excluding Maths"? Do you mean they specifed the A* in FM but didn't specify an A* for Maths? If so that's no uncommon, and isn't a 5 A-level offer.

as in A*A*AA in Further Maths, German, Economics and Chemistry
Maths wasn't included even though he had almost finished Maths in Year 12 (5 out of 6 modules)
Reply 7
as in A*A*AA in Further Maths, German, Economics and Chemistry
Maths wasn't included even though he had almost finished Maths in Year 12 (5 out of 6 modules)

Well that's the thing then, it was almost complete already.

But yes that quite a tough offer... Economics is extremely competitive so at least they landed the offer. :yy:
Original post by JackFu

I know a few people who applied with 4+ A-levels including their native/first language and got standard 3 A-level offer for their course with a specific condition to exclude the language.
My daughter applied with 5 A-levels with one of them being her first language. She also got a standard 3 A-level offer without any specific condition attached to it. She was predicted 5 A* with very high UMS while others mentioned above had a slightly weaker predictions, so it would depend on individual circumstances.
But generally, they don’t take your first/native language into account unless it’s directly related fo a subject you’re applying for.

Think this way.
What they are interested is whether you have a good foundation for the course you are applying for, so in case of economics that’s maths, most importantly, and economics. If youre not doing well or showing a clear potential in those, doing well in your own language will not compensate for it.
(edited 5 years ago)
I have two mother tongues, and was considering taking both at one point alongside, however they do clock if you're a native speaker of the language, so in almost all cases it wouldn't constitute part of your offer, it was only unless you were specifically applying for that subject, i.e if you're a native Japanese speaker wanting to study Japanese at uni.
Reply 10
Ok thank you all for commenting and helping. But in context I do spanish and my native language as well as Math and Econ. My spanish is only predicted a B but since that it is only a language which is weakly related with a mathmatical economics course at Cambrisge. I hope my native langauage can compensate for it
Original post by JackFu
Ok thank you all for commenting and helping. But in context I do spanish and my native language as well as Math and Econ. My spanish is only predicted a B but since that it is only a language which is weakly related with a mathmatical economics course at Cambrisge. I hope my native langauage can compensate for it

So to be clear, you are saying you might end up with Maths A*, Economics A*, Native language A*, Spanish B? If so, I think you might struggle to be competitive for Economics, but one of the ATs might be able to advise when they next open up an applicant's thread.
Reply 12
Original post by threeportdrift
So to be clear, you are saying you might end up with Maths A*, Economics A*, Native language A*, Spanish B? If so, I think you might struggle to be competitive for Economics, but one of the ATs might be able to advise when they next open up an applicant's thread.

Or maybe @Peterhouse Admissions could pop in sooner?
Original post by JackFu

Languages are not quite considered to be ‘related’ to Economics.......
And native language that’s not related to a course can not compensate for weak related subject. It’s very unlikely admission people are impressed that you’re good at your own language when you’re applying for Economics. . But weak grade in other language won’t influence your chance for econimics so much either, probably.
But you really need to show real strength in Maths and economics plus other aspects of application, like interview, PS/SAQ, pre-interview assessment, to be competitive enough if you are not doing FM. If you’re really strong in those, they may give you a standard offer but perhaps with a condition attached that 2 A*s have to be in Math and Economics.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by vincrows
Languages are not quite considered to be ‘related’ to Economics.......
And native language that’s not related to a course can not compensate for weak related subject. It’s very unlikely admission people are impressed that you’re good at your own language when you’re applying for Economics. . But weak grade in other language won’t influence your chance for econimics so much either, probably.
But you really need to show real strength in Maths and economics plus other aspects of application, like interview, PS/SAQ, pre-interview assessment, to be competitive enough if you are not doing FM. If you’re really strong in those, they may give you a standard offer but perhaps with a condition attached that 2 A*s have to be in Math and Economics.

I see, basically I have to be the best at Math and Economics which I will be the most happy to strive for. I have quite a few super-curricular activities and a very good reference (by Economics teacher) so I hope the PS part is ok. Furthermore, I plan to study the furthermath statistics section with a tutor during the summer so hopefully I can become more competitve.
Reply 15
Original post by threeportdrift

Yeah, I did some research and 80% applicants last year achieved 4A*, so my three A* and a B will probably drag me down.
And what is ATs btw? (assistants?)
Reply 16
Original post by JackFu
Yeah, I did some research and 80% applicants last year achieved 4A*, so my three A* and a B will probably drag me down.

Source? I doubt 80% applied with 4 A-levels. A majority yes...

And what is ATs btw? (assistants?)

Admissions Tutors - the people at each college responsible for their college's undergraduate admissions. Each college has one (sometimes with a slightly different job title).
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 17
Admissions Tutors - the people at each college responsible for their college's undergraduate admissions. Each college has one (sometimes with a slightly different job title).

Oh right, thank you so much. I hope they could be active soon, I emailed Corpus Christi, Girton, Clare about this and I have eithered received an unsatisfactory answer( quote from my head of sixth form) or no answer at all.
The response from Corpus was that they give offers on most relevant subjects (mostly Math and Economics) but didn't mention whether they reject or accept my Chinese A-level.
Reply 18
Original post by JackFu
Oh right, thank you so much. I hope they could be active soon, I emailed Corpus Christi, Girton, Clare about this and I have eithered received an unsatisfactory answer( quote from my head of sixth form) or no answer at all.
The response from Corpus was that they give offers on most relevant subjects (mostly Math and Economics) but didn't mention whether they reject or accept my Chinese A-level.

Did you see my edit above?

And if you didn't get a sufficient answer you should re-contact them and ask them to clarify.
Reply 19
Source? I doubt 80% applied with 4 A-levels. A majority yes...

Did you see my edit above?

And if you didn't get a sufficient answer you should re-contact them and ask them to clarify.

Yeah, I will try again now,hopefully they can answer it.
In addition with regards to the source:The source was from UNIFROG, a site that provides information to students about universities. It said that 80% of successful applicants applied with 4 subjects and they got nearly all 4A*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending