The Student Room Group

Should girls carefully select what they wear to avoid being abused/raped

For me the answer is simple: no
a girl/woman can wear what she pleases
what are your thoughts
Essay on this :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Does not matter what you wear. Rape is all about power. People who wear a lot get raped same with those who wear little. I think we should teach everyone from a young age respect others. However sadly there will be predators that lurk and at times nothing can be done no matter what you wear
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Does not matter what you wear. Rape is all about power. People who wear a lot get raped same with those who wear little. I think we should teach everyone from a young age respect others. However sadly there will be predators that lurk and at times nothing can be done no matter what you wear

some muslim women get raped i agree, so its not all about clothing thx for your opinion
Well this isn't a troll thread at all is it?
Reply 4
Original post by Trinculo
Well this isn't a troll thread at all is it?

Its not why would it be???? wow you assume the worsT!!
what are your thoughts

depends on where u live i guess. i used to live in a developed country where people were more open minded and i wore shorts everyday, but now my family moved to a developing one. i once wore a pretty short skirt and this man spat and swore at me. i just gave him a look but i was too scared to say anything in case he tried to do anything. so i guess when ur surrounded by people who are closed minded and the society is very backwards, its not a good idea to dress even a little provocatively.
Reply 6
depends on where u live i guess. i used to live in a developed country where people were more open minded and i wore shorts everyday, but now my family moved to a developing one. i once wore a pretty short skirt and this man spat and swore at me. i just gave him a look but i was too scared to say anything in case he tried to do anything. so i guess when ur surrounded by people who are closed minded and the society is very backwards, its not a good idea to dress even a little provocatively.

Im sorry you experience that thanks for your thought:smile:
so you think its the way they are brought up or something
They've got to take sensible risk measures like anyone else.

I'm not going to leave a rolex on a bench in a busy public centre and expect it to be still there when I get back. Doesn't mean the person that stole it was right and if they can be traced they should be prosecuted for theft, but I'm still an idiot for being so careless.

A woman wearing provocative skimpy clothing in a rough area alone at night isn't "asking for it" but she's being pretty stupid.There are always going to be some bad people around and no laws are going to prevent this.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Hirsty97
Dpee

what does this mean?
Reply 9
what are your thoughts

No. Clothes don't cause rape, it's a decision to rape.
Original post by Smud
No. Clothes don't cause rape, it's a decision to rape.

What makes that decision though???
Is it psychological or?
what does this mean?

Lool. My phone was in my pocket I don't know how the hell this happened
Original post by Hirsty97
Lool. My phone was in my pocket I don't know how the hell this happened

Oh its okay!:smile:
No - men (and women I guess) should be very, very careful not to rape anyone. Girls should be able to wear what they want without fear.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
No - men (and women I guess) should be very, very careful not to rape anyone. Girls should be able to wear what they want without fear.

Thanks for your view I agree
Reply 15
Let's not forget that men get raped too. Men are not raped as a result of wearing 'provocative' clothing, so the same logic shouldn't be applied to women. The onus of the rape is on the rapist, nobody else.
Oh its okay!:smile:

Had to answer though
Original post by ryanpro
Let's not forget that men get raped too. Men are not raped as a result of wearing 'provocative' clothing, so the same logic shouldn't be applied to women. The onus of the rape is on the rapist, nobody else.

Yeah I know, its my chosen topic thats all focusing on one social group
dont mean to ignore men :h:
Reply 18
What makes that decision though???
Is it psychological or?

It's psychological. Ultimately people make choices. What people believe are the right or wrong choices is up to whatever belief system they follow. Is the belief system that certain clothes "ask" for rape? Arguably this doesn't actually matter because not getting consent makes it rape.

However, no-one asks for rape. How can you? If you've asked, it's consent, which stops it being rape (I am only considering certain cultures and laws and 16+ year olds who can legally consent).
Original post by Smud
It's psychological. Ultimately people make choices. What people believe are the right or wrong choices is up to whatever belief system they follow. Is the belief system that certain clothes "ask" for rape? Arguably this doesn't actually matter because not getting consent makes it rape.

However, no-one asks for rape. How can you? If you've asked, it's consent, which stops it being rape (I am only considering certain cultures and laws and 16+ year olds who can legally consent).

Wow really good info thank you:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest