The Student Room Group

Mature $ Overseas Student - GDL/LPC - Is this doable?

Hello everyone,

I would be delighted to receive your feedback on the feasibility of my project, set below.

I am contemplating a GDL then LPC in part time, and make a career change to work as a PE/VC lawyer or for a NGO (my dream job).

I am French, 33, currently living between Dubai & London.

My profile is the following:
- Bachelor degree in Foreign Languages (France): 2.1
- Master in Management (Finance major) from a business school in France
- 3 Years in Investment Banking (M&A / DCM) in Italy
- 4 years Managing Director of a media company in Dubai
- 2 Years CEO of an internet startup in the UK (ongoing)

My partners and I have agreed to accommodate my work schedule so I can follow this law degree in part time.

I have read on an old forum that mature + overseas student means almost a dead end to ever get the necessary experience to qualify as a solicitor.

Question 1: is there any way to qualify as a solicitor with a part time job and part time training contract, or must the TC be full time? Is there any other way to qualify without a 2-year TC?

Question 2: What is your opinion on the tangibility of such career change?

Many thanks for your help!
J.
Reply 1
Original post by jpdxb
Hello everyone,

I would be delighted to receive your feedback on the feasibility of my project, set below.

I am contemplating a GDL then LPC in part time, and make a career change to work as a PE/VC lawyer or for a NGO (my dream job).

I am French, 33, currently living between Dubai & London.

My profile is the following:
- Bachelor degree in Foreign Languages (France): 2.1
- Master in Management (Finance major) from a business school in France
- 3 Years in Investment Banking (M&A / DCM) in Italy
- 4 years Managing Director of a media company in Dubai
- 2 Years CEO of an internet startup in the UK (ongoing)

My partners and I have agreed to accommodate my work schedule so I can follow this law degree in part time.

I have read on an old forum that mature + overseas student means almost a dead end to ever get the necessary experience to qualify as a solicitor.

Question 1: is there any way to qualify as a solicitor with a part time job and part time training contract, or must the TC be full time? Is there any other way to qualify without a 2-year TC?

Question 2: What is your opinion on the tangibility of such career change?

Many thanks for your help!
J.

HI J!

I don't think this is that huge of a career change, as long as you have your heart in it you can do it. universities do offer the LPC on a part-time basis over two years (my uni does) and the option to do the GDL and TC part-time is there.

I say go for it!

Quick Reply

Latest