Overweight BMI but didn't think I was fat :(

Watch
Lilisea
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I'm 17, am 4'10 and 9 stone 1-3 pounds (depending on what time of day it is I weigh myself). I found out today my BMI is 27 which is quite overweight.The thing is.. I thought I looked fine and was healthy. I've got hardly any fat on my stomach, kinda big thighs and butt (but I thought they looked normal), wear a 32D bra and am normally size 8 in clothing but sometimes size 10 jeans (UK sizes). I don't really think about what I eat, I could maybe try harder with that but I exercise almost everyday, plus have a 30 minute walk home from school everyday and I wouldn't say I'm lazy.
I'm kinda freaking out about this. Does it mean I'm fat? Was I just deluding myself that I was healthy, should I diet? I don't know..
username3922022
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
First of all calm the f*** down. Everyones weight changes alot throughout their lives. I wouldn't weigh yourself so often as it will make you more paranoid. As long as you are ok with your body that's all that matters.
username3832246
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You could have big bones for your height which obviously adds mass.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
BMI is only a guide. I wouldn't read too much into it.
TheMcSame
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I wouldn't worry about it... BMI is a largely meaningless measurement. It'd be fine if you're look at a large amount of people for example, but as far as individual cases go, it's useless. Body fat percentage is a far more reliable measurement of whether you're fat.

Pretty sure there was a study a few years ago from UCLA which found that something crazy like 1/2 of all "overweight" people and 1/4 of all "clinically obese" (going by BMI of course) people were perfectly healthy.
Not to mention you can be healthy by BMI standards, but not be healthy at all...
ChiggenLiggen
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
BMI is basically useless because crucially it doesn't take into account muscle mass which is denser than fat so you could be thinner but heavier at the same time.
G-Wizzle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It is important to remember that the BMI IS NOT AN ACCURATE REPRESENTATION OF YOUR HEALTH. It takes little into account, so would not factor in your muscle mass, for example. You sound relatively healthy, just make sure this is reflected in your diet as well. If you are wottied, however you could get a health check up.
AspiringUnderdog
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Lilisea)
So I'm 17, am 4'10 and 9 stone 1-3 pounds (depending on what time of day it is I weigh myself). I found out today my BMI is 27 which is quite overweight.The thing is.. I thought I looked fine and was healthy. I've got hardly any fat on my stomach, kinda big thighs and butt (but I thought they looked normal), wear a 32D bra and am normally size 8 in clothing but sometimes size 10 jeans (UK sizes). I don't really think about what I eat, I could maybe try harder with that but I exercise almost everyday, plus have a 30 minute walk home from school everyday and I wouldn't say I'm lazy.
I'm kinda freaking out about this. Does it mean I'm fat? Was I just deluding myself that I was healthy, should I diet? I don't know..
You could send a picture for us to judge if you want...

Anyway didn't you ever learn in biology GCSE about how BMI isn't entirely accurate for reasons like muscles can be big and bones are big and all that etc.

Also isn't 32D above average boob size because chances are the BMI will assume you have smaller breats/no breasts as it's the same for both genders.

Maybe if you're so concerned see a gp and ask what they think but I would guess that it's not a big deal.
doodle_333
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Don't stress. I'm also overweight by BMI but I am in no way fat. BMI is less accurate for very short or very tall people and it's also less accurate for athletic people. The bigger indication of health is stomach fat so if you have a flat stomach I wouldn't worry, especially if you feel healthy. I can cycle 100+km, run 10km with no regular running training and I work out 5 x a week as well as having a 10km commute to work. I'm not worried about my health Neither should you be.
Ray Ray Ray
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Dear beautiful young person,You are going into adulthood. Sadly you are meeting some of the perpetrators of the myths that are killing you and others on this forum. You are young and active and you ARE over weight by every BMI chart in the world. UK and US citizens are unhealthy as a whole because of our diets. We eat way to much animal protein and not enough veggies.As you grow older your BMI will continue to go up. If you are regular Brit you will have 1.9 let’s round up to 2 children for conversation purposes. I just want to ask you a question. Do you see woman losing weight as they get older or gaining weight? Most are gaining right? So what does your future weight look like as a British woman is what you have to ask? Plus, will it be easier to get healthy now, or with a baby and significant other in your life.If you’re being logical it’s easier to go in at a lower weight to your marriage. Or relationship. And gain weight as an adult in a healthy way.But now that you are asking really grown up questions, you should keep going in these adult thoughts and make a appointment with you family doctor.Ask him about what you are eating. Ask him questions about how your diet and exercise routine could be tweaked to help you live and be your best self in the future.I think you are a very smart person to be asking these questions at 17. Don’t let the people (don’t forget 50-60% of the people are probably over their healthy BMI) on this forum change your mind. Investigate this and listen to the FACTS.Places that I trust to give me health info:- My doctor. If you don’t have one you love and who talks to you about your health. Then get a new one. They have to spend a few minutes explaining things to you from a medical perspective on every visit. If you’re not getting that you need a new doctor because it’s the only way to be healthy. They’re paid understand all the information that needs to be understood for your body. If they’re not doing their job and you got have to FIRE THEM!- (I’m form the US so these are US places) - National Institue of health. By there BMI calculator you are over weight.- American Heart Institute. By there calculator you are over weight.- The China Study. This book breaks down the problems with eating way way to much protein and fat. It’s a big book. You only need to read a couple of mind numbing Dull chapters to get the point.Hope you continue your quest for truth about nutrition in an obese country like yours and mine. R
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (112)
13.86%
I'm not sure (36)
4.46%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (246)
30.45%
I have already dropped out (20)
2.48%
I'm not a current university student (394)
48.76%

Watched Threads