VA213 - Statements of Intent and Statements Amendment Watch

Poll: Should this amendment be passed into the MHoC Constitution (and/or) Guidance Document
As many as are of that opinion, Aye (23)
65.71%
On the contrary, No (7)
20%
Abstain (5)
14.29%
This discussion is closed.
DayneD89
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
A213 - Statements of Intent and Statements Amendment
Proposed by: DayneD89 (Speaker)
Seconded by: Saracen's Fez MP (Labour), 04MR17 MP (Liberal), mr T 999 MP (NCP)

This House would amend the Guidance Document as follows:

Remove the following section:

Statements of Intent and Departmental Reviews
1) Statements of intent (SoIs) are submitted by the Government to set out its plans and policies. These differ from the general term “statements”, which refers to any statement made by any individual or organisation to the House.
2) Any Minister may submit an SoI proposing action by their Department. This action may or may not require primary legislation in order to be realised.
3) Each SoI can undergo a maximum of three readings:
(a) First Reading – Two days minimum, Six days maximum (with an additional 48-hour extension if requested)
(b) Second Reading – One day minimum, Four days maximum (with an additional 24-hour extension if requested)
(c) Third reading – One day minimum, Three days maximum
4) SoIs are generally expected to cover one specific area of the Department’s remit. However, Departments are encouraged to submit one specific SoI each per term which shall be considered a Departmental Review. These should cover all areas of the Department’s remit.
5) The Treasury Departmental Review is the Budget.
6) Proposals contained in SoIs that the Speaker adjudges not to require primary legislation to be enacted are deemed passed when the SoI’s cessation period ends, unless the SoI is blocked.
7) SoIs may be sent to vote at any point during their cessation period by notifying the Speaker. The members who may do so are the Minister whose Department submitted the SoI, the Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition.
8) SoIs which do not pass the vote are considered blocked.

And replace with the following sections:

Ministerial Reports
1) Should a minister wish to change government policy using their executive powers, they must do so by submitting a Ministerial Report detailing the changes they wish to make.
2) A Ministerial Report can undergo a maximum of three readings:
(a) First reading – Six days (with an additional 48-hour extension if requested)
(b) Second reading – Four days (with an additional 24-hour extension if requested)
(c) Third reading – Three days
3) Ministerial Reports may cover one aspect of the minister’s portfolio, or a wider overview of it. The Chancellor of the Exchequer may produce one Budget Report per term, which shall be treated as any other Ministerial Report.
4) The nature of policy-making means some policies included within a Ministerial Report may fall outside executive powers. The Speaker will identify any such policies, and they cannot be implemented unless an appropriate bill is passed.
5) A Ministerial Report may be sent to vote at any point during its cessation period. The people who may do so are the relevant minister, the Prime Minister, and the Leader of the Opposition.
6) Should a Ministerial Report not be sent to vote, it will pass at the end of its cessation period.
7) Any Ministerial Report that does not pass its vote is deemed to have failed, and the policies set out within it will not be implemented.

Statements
1) Any user may make a formal statement to the House with the permission of the Speaker.
2) Statements will be debated for six days.
3) No votes may be taken on statements, and they will not directly alter government policy.

Posted By SpeakerBot
Report an issue | Suggest a feature
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The poll should be hidden again.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As this retains the voting on departmental reports i will vote Nay.

The process for executive powers should be a single statement on each issue with a blocking motion. The departmental reports themselves should not be binding in any way and should be considered distinct from statements doing something (the reports should simply be outlines of what the minister will do in office).
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I can’t see the poll and I’m not even on mobile, DayneD89 I’ll be voting Aye if I can’t find the poll if that’s okay.
Unown Uzer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aye
JMR2019.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
DayneD89 I cannot see the poll with this new layout, can you put me as aye please, and is there a way of seeing the poll?
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Absolutely yes.
DayneD89
Rep:
?
(Original post by JMR2018)
DayneD89 I cannot see the poll with this new layout, can you put me as aye please, and is there a way of seeing the poll?
Unfortunately I cant do vote changes on amendments.

For anyone struggling to vote on mobile though, try setting your mobile browser to desktop mode, that should allow you to see the poll and vote.
DayneD89
Rep:
?
The Ayes have it, the Ayes have it!

Unlock!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (47)
25.41%
No (138)
74.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed