The Student Room Group

Should I do NCS?

Does it have very much value apart from being a few days spent away from home?
Right now, I don't really have the desire to go on it, but I've heard that it's good for personal statements?
it is good I'm doing it this year and it will give u experience
Original post by Rachana.L
Does it have very much value apart from being a few days spent away from home?
Right now, I don't really have the desire to go on it, but I've heard that it's good for personal statements?

I didn't do it and had no trouble getting all 5 offers or getting to uni. It's not needed tbh.
Original post by 11 year revise
it is good I'm doing it this year and it will give u experience

Oh, have you already booked it? It definitely will give experience but I'm just wondering if my time can be better spent...
Original post by DrawTheLine
I didn't do it and had no trouble getting all 5 offers or getting to uni. It's not needed tbh.

Phew, that gives a sense of relief tbh.

But what other things did you do to give yourself experience and 'look good' with unis?
OR did you just have outstanding grades?
Phew, that gives a sense of relief tbh.

But what other things did you do to give yourself experience and 'look good' with unis?
OR did you just have outstanding grades?

I had some responsibilities in school (prefect, student team, helping year 7s with reading, tour guide, open evening helper) and I had some work experience relevant to my course too.
I was wondering this too. it takes up a lot of the summer. tbh you can demonstrate the same skills in different ways that won't take as much time / you can do at home
Original post by Issakatie
I was wondering this too. it takes up a lot of the summer. tbh you can demonstrate the same skills in different ways that won't take as much time / you can do at home

Yep, that's along the line I was thinking... I means thousands of students do this, it's not exactly something that stands out really. I don't think any uni will look at it and go: "Yep, this is the girl, we NEED to have her!"

Or maybe it is, who knows?
Yep, that's along the line I was thinking... I means thousands of students do this, it's not exactly something that stands out really. I don't think any uni will look at it and go: "Yep, this is the girl, we NEED to have her!"

Or maybe it is, who knows?

that's so true! loads of people do it now so it's not going to make you stand out any more? having a wider range of things will probably look better I dunno I think people do it for the sake of putting it on their cv
Don't bother!!
I did it and it is such a pain, the leaders are crap and employers don't care.
If you want to stand out, do some voluntary work- that looks better than NCS because you sorted it off your own initiative
Original post by DrawTheLine
I had some responsibilities in school (prefect, student team, helping year 7s with reading, tour guide, open evening helper) and I had some work experience relevant to my course too.

Woah, those sound really professional!
I will be taking up tutoring in 6th form and probably join the student council and other stuff. Hopefully, it's enough to see me through...
Did you put particular emphasis on your extra-curricular activities, would you say?

Because I haven't really thought about it very much until now...
Original post by Issakatie
that's so true! loads of people do it now so it's not going to make you stand out any more? having a wider range of things will probably look better I dunno I think people do it for the sake of putting it on their cv

Yeah, I don't think I'll be doing it, I'll probably do some voluntary work or look for some uni courses or learn a new language... I mean, it's a long summer...
Woah, those sound really professional!
I will be taking up tutoring in 6th form and probably join the student council and other stuff. Hopefully, it's enough to see me through...
Did you put particular emphasis on your extra-curricular activities, would you say?

Because I haven't really thought about it very much until now...

I think I only had a paragraph of them, so not too much emphasis. Don't worry you have loads of time!
Original post by graceflower4747
Don't bother!!
I did it and it is such a pain, the leaders are crap and employers don't care.
If you want to stand out, do some voluntary work- that looks better than NCS because you sorted it off your own initiative

~I think that I'll be doing voluntary work then.
Not only does it mean that I don't have to do something I'm not looking forward to, it also sits better on my conscience that I'm doing something useful and helpful :biggrin:
There is no point in listing 'I've done' stuff just as a list. This doesnt tell the Uni anything useful. Lots of people do DoE or NCS because they think that this sort of thing 'impresses' Universities. It doesnt - because everyone does it. Its only worth doing for PS reasons if the skills you will gain are relevant to the degree you intend applying for. For instance - any health related course, teaching, or any other subjects where 'people skills', 'team working' etc would be important and you can use NCS or DoE as a way of explaining/demonstrating this. However, NCS IS good for sorting out your self-confidence sense of independence, maturity etc before Uni so it is worth doing - just dont expect it to be the clincher in terms of a University offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending