The Student Room Group

Missing year on CV

I'm in year 12 and I'm leaving my course to start something new in september. I'm writing my first ever CV and I realised it looks really bad to have a missing year on it. (Finished secondary school June 2017, started college September 2018). I got a bit of work experience during this year, which makes the missing year stand out even more. Do I explain this on my CV (do I tell them I dropped my course after 1 year) or do I say nothing? It just looks so strange
Thank you
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by YasudaSayo
I'm in year 12 and I'm leaving my course to start something new in september. I'm writing my first ever CV and I realised it looks really bad to have a missing year on it. (Finished secondary school June 2017, started college September 2018). I got a bit of work experience during this year, which makes the missing year stand out even more. Do I explain this on my CV (do I tell them I dropped my course after 1 year) or do I say nothing? It just looks so strange
Thank you

Don't mention it on your CV, but in interviews if they bring it up just be honest with what you did in that year.
Reply 2
Original post by DrawTheLine
Don't mention it on your CV, but in interviews if they bring it up just be honest with what you did in that year.

but it looks so strange that i did all of this stuff in my mysterious missing year, with absolutely no explanation, no qualifications, but somehow magically working for 6 months in a primary school. so should i say in the education section that i did childcare & education sept 2017 - april 2018? or is it fine? cause i feel like if i dont explain it, its pretty unbelieveable... but if i point it out, it highlights the fact that im a quitter
(edited 5 years ago)
A lot of the things that I did as part of that work experience I did is to do with my course. I did childcare&education and at my work placement I did a bunch of stuff, like conducting observations and supporting the children with their maths and english development etc etc.. should i say that i did childcare for 1 year in the education section? because it looks so strange that i did all of this stuff in my mysterious missing year, with absolutely no explanation, no qualifications, but somehow magically working for 6 months in a primary school. or is it fine?

You should put your work experience on there. Sorry, I thought you meant if you should say on your CV "this year is missing because".
but it looks so strange that i did all of this stuff in my mysterious missing year, with absolutely no explanation, no qualifications, but somehow magically working for 6 months in a primary school. so should i say in the education section that i did childcare & education sept 2017 - april 2018? or is it fine? cause i feel like if i dont explain it, its pretty unbelieveable... but if i point it out, it highlights the fact that im a quitter

Just put the dates in that you did. I'm not sure what the problem is, does the CV look something like this

Education
2018-20 Second School, Town
2012-17 First School, Town
Studied AS level Subject, Subject, Subject
x GCSEs including English and Maths

Experience

Jun-Dec 17 Classroom Assistant, Treetops Nursery School, Town

If so, then that's fine
Reply 5
Original post by threeportdrift
Just put the dates in that you did. I'm not sure what the problem is, does the CV look something like this

Education
2018-20 Second School, Town
2012-17 First School, Town
Studied AS level Subject, Subject, Subject
x GCSEs including English and Maths

Experience

Jun-Dec 17 Classroom Assistant, Treetops Nursery School, Town

If so, then that's fine

well yes, but then they'll be questioning why I was a classroom assistant because i wont be telling them that it was a requirement of the course that i dropped. like surely they'll be suspicious that i got a job in a SCHOOL with just gcses? idk, i feel like i should mention i was there because of my course.
Reply 6
Original post by DrawTheLine
You should put your work experience on there. Sorry, I thought you meant if you should say on your CV "this year is missing because".

Isn't it going to be weird that I have work experience in a school without telling them the reason? What if they get suspicious?
Isn't it going to be weird that I have work experience in a school without telling them the reason? What if they get suspicious?

On your CV all you have to do is say you had work experience, and then if they ask at an interview just tell them the truth. If you aren't convinced (because I am not a CV expert) talk to a professional who can help you.
well yes, but then they'll be questioning why I was a classroom assistant because i wont be telling them that it was a requirement of the course that i dropped. like surely they'll be suspicious that i got a job in a SCHOOL with just gcses? idk, i feel like i should mention i was there because of my course.

No-one is going to think you were a qualified teacher! You put an appropriate job title in like Classroom Assistant, which could mean anything. The dates are clear, it's fine, that's what you do on a CV.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending