The Student Room Group

Can't go out without parents?

Okay so I've been raised by strict parents. The thing is, I was never allowed to go out of the house without them, not even with a friend. Every time I try to persuade them, they talk of how scary the world is and scare me with possibilities that I'd get kidnapped or raped, and that really puts me down. Still, I feel more down seeing kids younger than me walk around the neighborhood or hang out with friends. And here I am, turning 18 soon yet I'm not confident crossing the road on my own or catching a bus since I've been so dependant on my parents. I want to change that and learn to be independent. But I don't think my parents would allow me out on my own anytime soon. My life has basically been stuck between home and school. I understand that my parents are like that since they want to protect me but I believe this doesn't give me a chance to do things on my own and I missed out on a lot of childhood experiences. Am I the only one like this? I think it's weird that I'm in this situation at my age. I want to hear your thoughts about this.
Honestly, I think your parents are a "tad" bit overbearing. If you are planning to go to uni abroad (or uni at all), may I ask how it works with the sort of relationship you have with them? Also do you live in an extremely bad neighbourhood/area for them to restrict you from stepping out the house?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Honestly, I think your parents are a "tad" bit overbearing. If you are planning to go to uni abroad (or uni at all), may I ask how it works with the sort of relationship you have with them? Also do you live in an extremely bad neighbourhood/area for them to restrict you from stepping out the house?

Yeah they talked about uni but just like how I'm trapped between home and school, I bet it'll be the same between home and uni. I've been told not to waste time on "useless" socializing such as hanging out or even just a short walk in the neighborhood. If I want to meet friends, they tell me to meet them at school or get in touch through social media. No, in the three times I've moved, the neighborhood/areas aren't bad in my view. It's not that quiet nor that noisy either and it's pretty much safe in the day with kids/teens walking out and enjoying themselves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending