Feel like absolute sh*t

Watch
ashestostardust
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I’ve been trying to get myself to do science and geography revision all week because I’m really behind on it and I haven’t succeeded. My teachers keep counting down the days until our exams which really doesn’t help. I’m now 3 grades below my target grade in physics and I’m lacking motivation to change it. On the opposite side of the spectrum, I spend a lot of my time worrying and crying over my English grades (they matter far too much to me) to the point where I just feel inadequate especially in regards to my performance in that subject. Even when I do revise I feel so stressed. I can’t do more than 2 hours a day without breaking down. How on Earth do I cope with this when all my friends are working their butts off revising? How do I stop feeling like sh*t?

clouddbubbles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
try some exam questions?

anything where you’re actively revising instead of just making notes is gonna make a difference
ashestostardust
Rep:
?
(Original post by Volibear)
How are you revising? Maybe you need to switch up your revision method.
Firstly I go over areas I’m unsure of and make notes on them from the revision guide. Then I condense the entire topic into a mindmap. I make revision cards out of it and then I do practise papers. I obviously don’t do all of this in one sitting - it’s a lot to do! The methods do work but I guess my stress tolerance is just quite low.
ashestostardust
Rep:
?
How long do you revise for and how many breaks do you have?
I can only do 2 hours total. I try taking 5-15 minute breaks every 30-60 minutes.
ashestostardust
Rep:
?
I'll be honest, two hours revision per day isn't good, especially since I doubt you're spending that time efficiently.

I assume your revision method works for you, if it doesn't, try something else. What do you do in your free time to de-stress and enjoy yourself? What time of day do you start revising?

Also, look into the Pomodoro Method.
I’ve been trying to do pomodoro but maybe I’m not spending my time efficiently. I tend to start at 4.30pm after school and do revision until 5.30-6.30pm depending on how much I can take. I spend my free time mainly watching YouTube or playing/messaging on my phone. I enjoy reading and writing but stress has caused me to lose much of my interest in them. On weekends I revise from 1-4pm with breaks every hour but those times tend to change depending on how stressed I’m getting.
ashestostardust
Rep:
?
Maybe you need to spend your free time doing something else. Your revision is spent staring at words for hours on end, maybe spend free time going for a walk etc? Don't take your phone with you. Just clear your mind. Maybe consider practicing mindfulness which may help you in general.

On weekends you could try getting up earlier and doing a few hours revision in the morning, and then a few hours revision in the late afternoon/evening?

For school days, maybe revise from when you get home till dinner time, and then from dinner time until an hour or so before you go to bed, so you can spend that time winding down and emptying your brain?
(I do already practise mindfulness). I’ll definitely give it a try. I guess I’ll just have to switch up the areas I’m focusing on.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (23)
13.61%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (48)
28.4%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (69)
40.83%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (24)
14.2%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.96%

Watched Threads