GCSE options help- music vs pe vs history vs computer science Watch

Jlucas2003
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
It has come to the time where I have to pick gcse options.

I need helping in choosing 3 subjects to go alongside
Triple science -bio,chem,physics
English Lang/lit
Maths

I have 4 subjects in mind and need to narrow it down-
Computer science- Can code quite well already and know some basic theory before enrolling on the course. Confident I could get a high grade, and am definitely interested in it. It could be some I take to study further.

PE- Practical isn’t a problem I can play multiple sports well, and am interested in theory too(hypertrophy, different training types etc..) . Looks a fun course and I am confident I could get a high grade. Another minor benifit is a lot of mates and people I would get along with are taking it, also would put me with them for other lessons.

Music- I’m grade 8 in one instrument and 6 in another; performance isn’t an issue. I know most the theory on the course now and am interested in it. Composition is something I’d like to build on. I have been told I could achieve top marks by teachers if I took it now.

History- I am good at essay writing, and when we do exam style 4 and 8 markers I often get full marks. Not all history always interests me and constant writing does become tedious to me, even if I am good at it. But sometimes I do enjoy it. I’m confident I could get a high grade if I took it.

If I was picking subjects for fun it would be computer science, music and pe. If it was for academic sake it would be computer science, music and history. How much will I be limited if I don’t choose history (a humanity) in future? I have been told that because I’m not taking a language I am a already slightly limited, so if I don’t take a humanity it may limit me even more. Is this true?

Basically it’s pe vs history

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Thanks guys
Shadowdraconis
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jlucas2003)

English Lang/lit
Maths

Computer science- Can code quite well already and know some basic theory before enrolling on the course. Confident I could get a high grade, and am definitely interested in it. It could be some I take to study further.

PE- Practical isn’t a problem I can play multiple sports well, and am interested in theory too(hypertrophy, different training types etc..) . Looks a fun course and I am confident I could get a high grade. Another minor benifit is a lot of mates and people I would get along with are taking it, also would put me with them for other lessons.

Music- I’m grade 8 in one instrument and 6 in another; performance isn’t an issue. I know most the theory on the course now and am interested in it. Composition is something I’d like to build on. I have been told I could achieve top marks by teachers if I took it now.

History- I am good at essay writing, and when we do exam style 4 and 8 markers I often get full marks. Not all history always interests me and constant writing does become tedious to me, even if I am good at it. But sometimes I do enjoy it. I’m confident I could get a high grade if I took it.

If I was picking subjects for fun it would be computer science, music and pe. If it was for academic sake it would be computer science, music and history. How much will I be limited if I don’t choose history (a humanity) in future? I have been told that because I’m not taking a language I am a already slightly limited, so if I don’t take a humanity it may limit me even more. Is this true?

Thanks guys
A humanities subject is good as it demonstrates your analysis and writing skills. And as you already have a creative (comp sci) I think taking history might be better. But in the end take what you most enjoy, cos you are going to have to put up with it for 2 years and then take an exam so definitely don't take something just because it's considered better take something you genuinely enjoy. One of my friends took a subject at GCSE that she didn't particularly like but she thought would offer her more career choices but towards the end she hated it so much she couldn't even motivate herself to revise it properly for the exam.
katystudies
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Its better to get a high grade in something you enjoy (that isn't prestigious) than to get a bad grade in a prestigious subject. But you said that you got high marks in history essays, so you could get a high grade in a prestigious subject. So as long as your willing to work hard in history, I would say go for history. Just remember to review your class notes weekly and start organising your revision as early as possible. For history, I recommend making mind maps for each subject in year 10 and then at the start of year 11, make flashcards that you can use to test yourself. I have my GCSE history exam in 4 weeks and I didn't revise early enough so haven't revised everything i need to
username3908252
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would do Computer science since you said you enjoy it and are good at programming, as well as history and music. Unless you have a true interest in the theory side of PE, I wouldnt choose it you can always play sports in games / outside of school.
username3314392
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would suggest History. A humanities is very important to colleges.
computuring
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think not taking history would only limit you if you later wanted to do it at A level (my friend wants to do law and he regrets not taking history gcse as it's a good subject for law) however that's not a problem because you can still do the A level without the gcse. Unis don't care that much about your gcse choices and history is a lot of work and would be much harder than your other subjects i think, so just take what you enjoy.
Jlucas2003
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thanks guys. I’m going to look over the topics our school study in history and if they interest me I’ll do it, if not I’ll do PE
Sort of Smart
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Honestly, at GCSE the topics you study don't matter that much (unless you want to carry a specific subject on to A Level). Rather, its important that you get good grades, so choose the subject that you enjoy the most.
HKP24
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jlucas2003)

English Lang/lit
Maths

Basically it’s pe vs history

Thanks guys
Heyya,
I've done PE GCSE and got an A in it. However, practical is quite easy, bu the theoretical knowledge is quite hard to score marks in. The exam not only requires you to know the content but to be able to structure it in a specific way which is quite difficult.

I also did GCSE Music- I got an A in it. A* in Composition and A* in Performance, and a B in Listening You are an Grade 8 performer which is great, you can score full marks easily and Composition shouldn't be too much of a problem, seeing as you know your theory and its something you can really explore and be creative with. However, Listening tests are a little tricky but it will really help you in your musical experience overall. Just make sure you know the content along side you theoretical knowledge.
I particularly chose Music GCSE and A levels because I wanted to pursue a career in Music which are really beneficial if you're thinking of going down that route.
Hope it helped

Good Luck with your choices!
Millyyy03
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by HKP24)
Heyya,
I've done PE GCSE and got an A in it. However, practical is quite easy, bu the theoretical knowledge is quite hard to score marks in. The exam not only requires you to know the content but to be able to structure it in a specific way which is quite difficult.

I also did GCSE Music- I got an A in it. A* in Composition and A* in Performance, and a B in Listening You are an Grade 8 performer which is great, you can score full marks easily and Composition shouldn't be too much of a problem, seeing as you know your theory and its something you can really explore and be creative with. However, Listening tests are a little tricky but it will really help you in your musical experience overall. Just make sure you know the content along side you theoretical knowledge.
I particularly chose Music GCSE and A levels because I wanted to pursue a career in Music which are really beneficial if you're thinking of going down that route.
Hope it helped

Good Luck with your choices!
Hey well done! What sports did you do for pe?
Millyyy03
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
How many options do you get to have
HKP24
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Millyyy03)
Hey well done! What sports did you do for pe?
I did cricket, netball, rounders and athletics
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (22)
24.72%
No (67)
75.28%

Watched Threads