Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be sitting the HY400 exam in 11 days and although I do have some knowledge of the topics involved I'm pretty much going to have to almost start from scratch. I've done well on formative essays but I'm not sure how to budget my time efficiently here.

The exam is three hours for three questions. The marks are averaged so doing particularly well on two topics and sacrificing another is a non-starter. I have two days of revision per topic for five topics (to avoid getting outright screwed) and one day to review.

The problem is that for each topic there's a huge amount of readings and I have no idea how to tell what is actually useful for the exam, or how to take notes considering I ought to only take down what I can feasibly remember.

Any tips would be more than welcome

Best regards
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by hunanhenanren)
    I'm going to be sitting the HY400 exam in 11 days and although I do have some knowledge of the topics involved I'm pretty much going to have to almost start from scratch. I've done well on formative essays but I'm not sure how to budget my time efficiently here.

The exam is three hours for three questions. The marks are averaged so doing particularly well on two topics and sacrificing another is a non-starter. I have two days of revision per topic for five topics (to avoid getting outright screwed) and one day to review.

The problem is that for each topic there's a huge amount of readings and I have no idea how to tell what is actually useful for the exam, or how to take notes considering I ought to only take down what I can feasibly remember.

Any tips would be more than welcome

Best regards
    Treat it as 3 x 1 hour exams.

Spend at least 5 mins reading the question and another 5-10 planning the answer.

Do not mis time.
    Answer the question set.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Treat it as 3 x 1 hour exams.

Spend at least 5 mins reading the question and another 5-10 planning the answer.

Do not mis time.
    Answer the question set.
    Thank you for the feedback, I meant tips for revision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hunanhenanren)
    So looking at the course description you've done three formatives already, so should know these topics reasonably well. I would choose those as three of my topics to revise.

Have a read over your formatives, make a note of the key references. If you have any friends who are willing ask them to share their formatives - it's a good source of condensed highlights of other readings. Have a look at the past papers - what questions often come up for those topics? Make sure you have some knowledge and references for those questions if they're not covered by your formatives. Ideally this means you can do three topics in less than two days each. giving you a bit more time for your two new topics.

Pick two you think you already have a reasonable knowledge of that come up often. I would spend one day reading as much as I can and making notes on the key arguments. When reading I make notes of key points, then go through and add notes about what arguments they relate to. Then the next day try to plan out some answers for past questions on those topics. Do some follow-up reading for where you can't answer the past questions.

Remember to devote some time each day to going back over what you did the previous day(s). Personally I've always used mind maps for revision, as I find in the exams I can remember the locations of things quite well and it helps me remember the references as well as the ideas. Once I have a good grasp of a topic I make a mind map for it, then do the whole look at it, turn it over and try to recreate as much as possible thing.

11 days for a full unit is tough but manageable if you've got solid formatives to work from.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks that is a good plan

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.