AQA (9-1) Romeo & Juliet - Too daunting..

Watch this thread
PowerHotmail
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Literally 9 days til the exams begin for me and I'm pretty comfortable with An Inspector Calls, Frankenstein, and Poetry: Power & Conflict. However, Romeo & Juliet for some reason seems too daunting for me.

Any advice?
Hannahjane12
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PowerHotmail)
Literally 9 days til the exams begin for me and I'm pretty comfortable with An Inspector Calls, Frankenstein, and Poetry: Power & Conflict. However, Romeo & Juliet for some reason seems too daunting for me.

Any advice?
The 1963 film is really accurate to the original play, it really helps get the story into your head properly and understand where all the quotes fit into the story. I reccomend watching it before the exam
Doing mind-maps on themes and characters also helps me to see where all of the quotes and parts of the play interlink with
eachother.
Hope this helps a little and good luck!
mel100
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Watch the Franco Z version. And YouTube revision notes on Romeo and Juliet. Teachers basically teaching exam style questions and answers. Also the Romeo and Juliet audio book
PowerHotmail
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Hannahjane12)
The 1963 film is really accurate to the original play, it really helps get the story into your head properly and understand where all the quotes fit into the story. I reccomend watching it before the exam
Doing mind-maps on themes and characters also helps me to see where all of the quotes and parts of the play interlink with
eachother.
Hope this helps a little and good luck!
I'm trying to use the CGP Revision Guide for the themes/characters, but I feel like everything is a bit isolated in terms of quotes and connections. There's not much explanation on the techniques/structure/language of the quotes themselves, but rather just describing why it's mentioned.
Parker Tracy
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Remember that as a play, it is designed to be performed, rather than read. So the advice above, to watch a decent production of it, is sound. As well as knowing the text inside out, consider how it plays as a performance. Where does it build tension? What is the dramatic climax in the play? What is the nature of conflict in the play? (conflict produces drama). How is the play resolved? How does the playwright make us feel invested in the characters? (we root for the hero/heroine because Shakespeare sets the odds against them).

Being very familiar with the text will help you overcome your nerves. Do not be cowed because it is Shakespeare. All plays work exactly the same:
act 1: the characters are introduced, and then something happens. We see what the hero wants. And he/she chooses to go after it.
act 2: we watch the hero pursue what he/she wants. there is conflict. there is complication. just as they seem to be in reach of their goal, there is a reversal. Something changes. They may now have to embark on a whole different journey now, to get what they want. they try again. they fail. they try once more.
act 3: resolution. they either get what they want, or they try everything in the process and are finally defeated. (if it is a tragedy, it is always the latter)

This works for every play.
Jahayna
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

Any advice?
Hope this isnt too late lol
Like everyone else said make sure youre familiar with the play. Go online or find a revision guide or literally anything and write down some key points, such as quote analysis or the importance of Act 3 Scene 1 for example. When you’re analysing if you are not feeling confident then write one of these: 1. This suggests... make something up, you could follow it up with 2. This creates a sense of... could be anything: anticipation, remorse, guilt... just read the quote or extract and think of one word that describes it and add it, always works for me 😂... 3. Always say how Shakespeare does something (use of techniques and whatnot, or previous points) and WHY he does it. Could be present the significance of fate or the dangers of a patriarchal society and therefore challenging norms of the Elizabethan society. Idk if this is farfetched or not but always try to find a way to say why shakespeare does something, doesnt have to do with context or Elizabethan society, could be within the play. 4. get those AO3 points. This could be relating to other parts of the play (you dont have to write paragraphs analysing another scene, you could just say ‘this is similar to when this this happened....’ and also try to include some historical context just to secure those marks. Not sure if this is helpful but this is what i try to so and it works most of the time so hope you find it helpful. Good luck!
ThomasClay
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

Any advice?
Analysis and quotes for all key themes in Romeo and Juliet

https://www.tes.com/teaching-resourc...lysis-11904381
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (23)
26.44%
As I expected (27)
31.03%
Harder (31)
35.63%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
6.9%

Watched Threads