Turn on thread page Beta

What is the puropose of aseptic techniques and sterilisation in the lab? watch

ReputationRep:
    e.g. when growing bacteria on agar, why do you have to sterilise everything? my book says to prevent contaimination with microbes, but why it it important to not contaminate it with microbes? many thanks

ReputationRep:
    Because then the strain of bacteria you are trying to grow will not be pure and could cause implications with whatever you’re using the bacteria for e.g. using it in recombinant DNA technology to produce insulin from it could cause the insulin to be contaminated and unsafe for human use etc.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bean101)
    Because then the strain of bacteria you are trying to grow will not be pure and could cause implications with whatever you’re using the bacteria for e.g. using it in recombinant DNA technology to produce insulin from it could cause the insulin to be contaminated and unsafe for human use etc.
    i'm not sure what you mean by this? if we were trying to see which disinfectant or antibiotic had the biggest zone of inhibition when applied to bacteria etc, why would we need to carry out aseptic techniques?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bertybassett)
    i'm not sure what you mean by this? if we were trying to see which disinfectant or antibiotic had the biggest zone of inhibition when applied to bacteria etc, why would we need to carry out aseptic techniques?
    Because you’d want to make sure that it’s only bacteria and not any contaminant because then it wouldn’t show the true effect of the disinfectant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bean101)
    Because you’d want to make sure that it’s only bacteria and not any contaminant because then it wouldn’t show the true effect of the disinfectant
    thanks. so it is not anything to do with safety?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bertybassett)
    thanks. so it is not anything to do with safety?
    I mean not really as anything grown on agar is safely disposed of anyway so

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.