What is the puropose of aseptic techniques and sterilisation in the lab?

Watch
Bertybassett
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
e.g. when growing bacteria on agar, why do you have to sterilise everything? my book says to prevent contaimination with microbes, but why it it important to not contaminate it with microbes? many thanks
bean101
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Because then the strain of bacteria you are trying to grow will not be pure and could cause implications with whatever you’re using the bacteria for e.g. using it in recombinant DNA technology to produce insulin from it could cause the insulin to be contaminated and unsafe for human use etc.
Bertybassett
Rep:
?
(Original post by bean101)
Because then the strain of bacteria you are trying to grow will not be pure and could cause implications with whatever you’re using the bacteria for e.g. using it in recombinant DNA technology to produce insulin from it could cause the insulin to be contaminated and unsafe for human use etc.
i'm not sure what you mean by this? if we were trying to see which disinfectant or antibiotic had the biggest zone of inhibition when applied to bacteria etc, why would we need to carry out aseptic techniques?
bean101
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Bertybassett)
i'm not sure what you mean by this? if we were trying to see which disinfectant or antibiotic had the biggest zone of inhibition when applied to bacteria etc, why would we need to carry out aseptic techniques?
Because you’d want to make sure that it’s only bacteria and not any contaminant because then it wouldn’t show the true effect of the disinfectant
Bertybassett
Rep:
?
(Original post by bean101)
Because you’d want to make sure that it’s only bacteria and not any contaminant because then it wouldn’t show the true effect of the disinfectant
thanks. so it is not anything to do with safety?
bean101
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Bertybassett)
thanks. so it is not anything to do with safety?
I mean not really as anything grown on agar is safely disposed of anyway so
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (151)
14.44%
I'm not sure (46)
4.4%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (312)
29.83%
I have already dropped out (27)
2.58%
I'm not a current university student (510)
48.76%

Watched Threads