The Student Room Group

AQA AS Chemistry Paper 1 & Paper 2 2018 Predictions?

Scroll to see replies

There was a lot of maths :frown:
Reply 21
Original post by HKbrad
Toothpaste pretty much

Was it really that bad? What topics do you recall?
Reply 22
Original post by Black Water

Well atomic structure; ideal gas equations, equilibrium, Time of flight mass spec, bond angles and shapes, bleach ****
Reply 23
Original post by Black Water

There was a 6 marker on a practical about distinguishing between different halogens which wasn’t too bad, there was a lot of maths like calculating concentrations and then converting them into different units, a question on calculating speed of a ion I think? There were like 3 questions on atomic structure and only 1 energetics question
Original post by Chloet5827
Can someone make an unofficial markscheme please and I got 3 minutes because that’s when the concentration was constant and that’s a factor of dynamic equilibrium. For the crucible one I got x is 2.89

What did you get for the enthalpy of formation one? I got -2 which I'm pretty sure is wrong
Original post by niimbus
There was a 6 marker on a practical about distinguishing between different halogens which wasn’t too bad, there was a lot of maths like calculating concentrations and then converting them into different units, a question on calculating speed of a ion I think? There were like 3 questions on atomic structure and only 1 energetics question

yeah sorry what did you get for the energetics one?? Did ANYONE get -2 ?
Original post by sairamadoodo
yeah sorry what did you get for the energetics one?? Did ANYONE get -2 ?

Yh i got the same
What did you get for the enthalpy of formation one? I got -2 which I'm pretty sure is wrong

I ran out of time and didn’t do it
Original post by Thanu123
Yh i got the same

Omg thank you so much for the motivation !!
Original post by Chloet5827
I ran out of time and didn’t do it

Don't worry I'm sure u did well for the rest x
Don't worry I'm sure u did well for the rest x

Thanks I hope so :smile: it’s really annoying because I’ve got 100% in most tests this year and then we have a paper like that
Reply 31
Original post by HKbrad
Well atomic structure; ideal gas equations, equilibrium, Time of flight mass spec, bond angles and shapes, bleach ****

Bleach **** lol you’re funny
Reply 32
Original post by niimbus

Oh thanks. Right, I’m guessing the maths was horrendous. Was this all of the topics that was on there? Hopefully the next paper will be a lot better for you!
Reply 33
fellas who here actually got taught about the plum pudding model and what not? also what did people get for the compound of element R and the group 2 metal in the same period?
Expect the same 20% maths content to be in the paper. That can only come from the topics: amount of substance, energetics (Hess law & q=mcT), kinetics, shapes of molecules, analysis of spectra, isomers and Kc.

Possible practicals that could be assessed: Standard solution, titrations, measuring rates, calorimetry, distillation and testing for organic functional groups.

From the organic topics, alkenes and alcohols are the big topics where they can ask loads of questions. If they want to keep the theme with the toothpaste, haloalkanes may be examined. Learn mechanisms. Ozone propagation stages usually on most organic papers. Last year's A level question was on compromise conditions... that would be a difficult 6 mark QWC question based on the kinetics / equilibria topics.
I posted the topics that came up on my page
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
What topics came up?

ur mum innit
There was virtually no definitions, since enthalpy is like 50% definitions and 50% maths, that will play a bigger part in the paper, if enthalpy plays a part, I'm expecting a practical on either measuring an enthalpy change regularly (i.e copper calorimeter), or measuring an enthalpy change that cannot be determined directly (by a Hess' Law practical), there's probably going to be more on Equilibrium, less weighted on the redox side (because while oxidation states/redox ARE on the Physical section, it's mostly just build up work for inorganic, so probably not). Finally, I'm calling that Maxwell Boltzmann and collision theory are going to be a lot more heavy handed.
Original post by thotproduct
There was virtually no definitions, since enthalpy is like 50% definitions and 50% maths, that will play a bigger part in the paper, if enthalpy plays a part, I'm expecting a practical on either measuring an enthalpy change regularly (i.e copper calorimeter), or measuring an enthalpy change that cannot be determined directly (by a Hess' Law practical), there's probably going to be more on Equilibrium, less weighted on the redox side (because while oxidation states/redox ARE on the Physical section, it's mostly just build up work for inorganic, so probably not). Finally, I'm calling that Maxwell Boltzmann and collision theory are going to be a lot more heavy handed.

Redox equations aren't included in paper 2, says on the spec.
Reply 39
Original post by thotproduct

You do AQA too?

Quick Reply

Latest