Stalin: Which is worse - the Yezhovshchina(1930s) or Beria/Zhdanovshchina(1940s/50s)

Watch
lowza
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
This is very specific, but I'm hoping someone will have some thoughts.

Essentially, I'm trying to write an essay on the terror of the 1930s vs the terror of High Stalinism in Russia. I just really can't decide which one is comparatively 'worse' - as in more brutal, more destructive etc etc

I'm using a textbook to revise but there aren't any comparisons made between the two stages of terror. I've said they are similar in their use of getting party obedience and controlling leading figures, similar in their being a police state and their effects on the Soviet people, that the Zhdanovshchina was worse in regards to cultural purging, but that some of the reasons for each bout of terror are different. So, in the 1930s it coincided with collectivisation and industrialisation, but after WW2 it was more about paranoia and repression.

But I'm not feeling very secure in these opinions, and can't decide my overall opinion over which was the worse one which I feel I need before I can write a good essay on it.

I've made up this essay title btw so I've no idea whether you'd actually ever be asked to compare the two. I thought it was interesting though.

SOOOO....if anyone has any thoughts on this, comparisons, facts, opinions etc please let me know.

TLDR; which bout of Stalinist terror do you think was worse and why?
999tigger
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lowza)

Essentially, I'm trying to write an essay on the terror of the 1930s vs the terror of High Stalinism in Russia. I just really can't decide which one is comparatively 'worse' - as in more brutal, more destructive etc etc

I'm using a textbook to revise but there aren't any comparisons made between the two stages of terror. I've said they are similar in their use of getting party obedience and controlling leading figures, similar in their being a police state and their effects on the Soviet people, that the Zhdanovshchina was worse in regards to cultural purging, but that some of the reasons for each bout of terror are different. So, in the 1930s it coincided with collectivisation and industrialisation, but after WW2 it was more about paranoia and repression.

But I'm not feeling very secure in these opinions, and can't decide my overall opinion over which was the worse one which I feel I need before I can write a good essay on it.

I've made up this essay title btw so I've no idea whether you'd actually ever be asked to compare the two. I thought it was interesting though.

SOOOO....if anyone has any thoughts on this, comparisons, facts, opinions etc please let me know.

My feeling is it is a very unlikely essay. I cnat see the point of it? You might get one comparing Lenin and Stalin.
You can tell if it is in the style by looking at the list of Stalin exam questions you compiled.

To counter for this I would just draw up a table with some objective criteria and facts, which would enable me to do a comparison. 5-8 should be fine.

It would ofc be quite straightforward to do a comparison as there are so many books on Stalin, just requires a bit of digging and research.
NonIndigenous
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lowza)

That's a trick question.

There was no Stalinist terror. It is all Western capitalist propaganda designed to slander communism.

A*
lowza
Rep:
(Original post by 999tigger)
My feeling is it is a very unlikely essay. I cnat see the point of it? You might get one comparing Lenin and Stalin.
You can tell if it is in the style by looking at the list of Stalin exam questions you compiled.

To counter for this I would just draw up a table with some objective criteria and facts, which would enable me to do a comparison. 5-8 should be fine.

It would ofc be quite straightforward to do a comparison as there are so many books on Stalin, just requires a bit of digging and research.
Yeah, that's fair enough, it probably won't be asked about but I just thought it was an interesting point of comparison. That being said, on the section in my textbook about the late terror, most of the historiography is about whether it was a new form of control or a reversion to the 1930s - so there's definitely something there.

Thank you. Yeah, that's what I've done with the table of comparisons. If I had more time before A Levels to research this further then I probably would get another book on Stalin and research some more haha.
lowza
Rep:
(Original post by NonIndigenous)
That's a trick question.

There was no Stalinist terror. It is all Western capitalist propaganda designed to slander communism.

A*
edgy
username3911170
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
why do they have ‘china’ in their names.. 😕
lowza
Rep:
(Original post by Çharmander)
why do they have ‘china’ in their names.. 😕
Apparently 'Yezhovshchina' translates to the 'time of' or 'doings of' Yezhov. So (sh?)China must mean that? Maybe? idk.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (6)
8.22%
Okay (25)
34.25%
A bit lacking (20)
27.4%
Not good at all (22)
30.14%

Watched Threads