The Student Room Group

charge of the light brigade

in any essay question related to the charge of the light brigade, will writing about the similar verse from the lords prayer increase my mark??
Reply 1
I guess you could say, ‘this is a biblical reference too ...’ and then the effect. I wouldn’t go into too much detail but just that is fine.
Reply 2
Original post by peeked
I guess you could say, ‘this is a biblical reference too ...’ and then the effect. I wouldn’t go into too much detail but just that is fine.

i was thinking the reference to the lords prayer shows the importance of the light brigade. is that fine??
Reply 3
Are you doing AQA Power and Conflict?
Reply 4
Original post by Sinnoh
Are you doing AQA Power and Conflict?

yes i am x
Reply 5
Original post by mariax__x
yes i am x

Last year's poem was Bayonet Charge and the question was on how the effects of war are presented. So Charge of the Light Brigade probably saw a lot of use last year. It could be a fairly different question this year, if I were in your position I'd be focusing on the less war-focused poems.
Reply 6
Original post by Sinnoh
Last year's poem was Bayonet Charge and the question was on how the effects of war are presented. So Charge of the Light Brigade probably saw a lot of use last year. It could be a fairly different question this year, if I were in your position I'd be focusing on the less war-focused poems.

yeah this is probably correct, I used Charge of the Light Brigade to compare to Bayonet Charge last year and many of my friends did as well so it's likely it'll be a 'Power' focused question instead of a 'Conflict' focused question like it was last year - something like Prelude or Ozymandias would be likely.

Disclaimer: these are all educated guesses
Reply 7
Original post by Sinnoh

i thought last year it was exposure, thank you for letting me know i will focus on the power poems !! x
Reply 8
Original post by Lumos_
yeah this is probably correct, I used Charge of the Light Brigade to compare to Bayonet Charge last year and many of my friends did as well so it's likely it'll be a 'Power' focused question instead of a 'Conflict' focused question like it was last year - something like Prelude or Ozymandias would be likely.

Disclaimer: these are all educated guesses

can you to tell me all the poems to do with power? like can emigree be power as it can be about power of authority
Reply 9
can you to tell me all the poems to do with power? like can emigree be power as it can be about power of authority

Disclaimer: still revise all of them but these are the ones I would say are 'Power' poems. I'm a little rusty as I did this a year ago, but these are the ones I can remember being most about 'Power' and my basic reasoning.

Ozymandias (power/effects of time and how power is finite)
London (power of authority and the misuse of it by the ruling class/lack of power for the working class)
Prelude (power of nature compared to humans)
My Last Duchess (power of a man over a woman)
Tissue (hated this one coz I never really got it, but I'd say its more power than conflict)
Checking Out Me History (power of colonialism over his culture and now his power of reclaiming his heritage)
Reply 10
in any essay question related to the charge of the light brigade, will writing about the similar verse from the lords prayer increase my mark??

how did it go? was it a power poem in the end?
Reply 11
Original post by Lumos_
how did it go? was it a power poem in the end?

the given poem in the exam was Ozymandias and i compared it to London, so yeah power came up

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending