Susie Lind
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I think I am missing something. My teacher asked me about methane and gas chromatography. that you can split up a liquid into its different fractions but what would you split methane into? I was asked about Volatile fatty acids, SCF, LAC , ammonia, nitrates and one more that i can't remember. What does the carrier gas do? Heeeeelllp!!!
Trapmoneybenny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Susie Lind)
I think I am missing something. My teacher asked me about methane and gas chromatography. that you can split up a liquid into its different fractions but what would you split methane into? I was asked about Volatile fatty acids, SCF, LAC , ammonia, nitrates and one more that i can't remember. What does the carrier gas do? Heeeeelllp!!!
Carrier gas, usually nitrogen or helium is inert and simply "carries" the sample that has already been dissolved in the solvent through the tube which is coated in resin( the stationary phase)

You only split the mixture into its various components, methane is a compound it won't be split into different components because they aren't any
Susie Lind
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oruese)
Carrier gas, usually nitrogen or helium is inert and simply "carries" the sample that has already been dissolved in the solvent through the tube which is coated in resin( the stationary phase)

You only split the mixture into its various components, methane is a compound it won't be split into different components because they aren't any
That's great. That was confusing me. I am growing methanoges in a hungate tube and if they grow and release methane we are going to test by gas chromatography. For what? and how could a carrier gas carry nitrogen?
Susie Lind
Rep:
?
Sorry carry methane!
Susie
Trapmoneybenny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Susie Lind)
That's great. That was confusing me. I am growing methanoges in a hungate tube and if they grow and release methane we are going to test by gas chromatography. For what? and how could a carrier gas carry nitrogen?
The carrier gas is nitrogen, it just carries the sample as it is pumped through the tube
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (256)
56.89%
I don't have everything I need (194)
43.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed