Why are students required to take so many GCSEs?

Watch
Sint
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Any university requirements I've seen that include a minimum number of GCSEs have just said at least 5. Five isn't many and doesn't give you much to choose from alongside the standard maths, English and science, so I think it's reasonable in most cases for students to take a few more than that.
However I don't understand how it got to the point where students take more than 9 or 10. Unless a student genuinely enjoys doing 10 GCSEs (which must be extremely rare), how is it beneficial to anyone?
ussy123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's all ****ed. I have 20 exams.
BMC.02
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i have 29 exams including German speaking. I also will have 12 GCSEs by the end of the exam period (including ICT GCSE taken in year 9) :P
Emily Bish
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well, I think it’s rubbish. At my school, we do 9-3 (and 1 hour break and lunch) every day and only get 4 options. This means we have more time per subject and doing less subjects means more focus. Though we’ll get 9/10 maximum GCSEs depending on our science choices, we’ll have been able to dedicate, teachers have less classes to focus on and it’s just- manageable. We’re 16 and I think aiming to do well in what we like is better than getting loads of subjects we may not funny want that we end up doing a bit worse in.
Nihilisticb*tch
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have to do 10 gcses and my sister did 11. They reduced the number of options we were allowed to take for my year. I think yeah universities only ask for 5 but 5 GCSEs is not a good amount. Like thats their minimum requirement but just getting 5 GCSEs isnt good. Taking only 5 would limit your options, for example ive seen vetinary science courses that ask for 7 As. Schools dont want to limit their students' options. Also, i think GCSEs dont really have enough content where you could fill up 2 or 3 years worth of study with only 5 of them. Theres also the fact that people chose gcses in year 8 or 9, thats a very young age to narrow down so much so that you only do 5 options. I think GCSEs are about breadth and A levels are about depth. You should have knowledge of a range of subjects from GCSEs then learn more indepth into fewer more specific subjects in further education.
leylahyeah
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
im doing 12 gcses but my school spreads them throughout year 9-11 so by year 11 we only take a couple of our gcses
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (94)
13.88%
I'm not sure (32)
4.73%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.61%
I have already dropped out (15)
2.22%
I'm not a current university student (322)
47.56%

Watched Threads