The Student Room Group

Should I drop further maths

I'm currently in year 12 and studying maths, further maths, physics and chemistry and am predicted A in all of them (this could go up to an A* depending on what I get in my end of year exams).

The only reason i took further maths was because i wanted to study mathematics in university however after starting A levels i realised that I don't actually enjoy maths as much as i thought i did.

I am now planning to choose materials science and engineering - which only requires chemistry and physics - or chemical engineering - for which further maths is useful but not a requirement.

If i drop it it will be easier to get straight A*'s. However the reason I'm hesitant to drop it is because I feel like there's a chance I might be able to handle it and maybe scrape an A.

The way maths is taught in my school is that they teach us all of the maths content in year 12 and then the further maths content in year 13 so I haven't actually learnt any of it but in terms of A levels maths I don't really find it that difficult.

Also for my GCSE's I got 7 A*s 1 A and 1 B (maths was an A*/9)

Scroll to see replies

If you’re doing any type of engineering do further maths
Original post by _zoe
I'm currently in year 12 and studying maths, further maths, physics and chemistry and am predicted A in all of them (this could go up to an A* depending on what I get in my end of year exams).

The only reason i took further maths was because i wanted to study mathematics in university however after starting A levels i realised that I don't actually enjoy maths as much as i thought i did.

I am now planning to choose materials science and engineering - which only requires chemistry and physics - or chemical engineering - for which further maths is useful but not a requirement.

If i drop it it will be easier to get straight A*'s. However the reason I'm hesitant to drop it is because I feel like there's a chance I might be able to handle it and maybe scrape an A.

The way maths is taught in my school is that they teach us all of the maths content in year 12 and then the further maths content in year 13 so I haven't actually learnt any of it but in terms of A levels maths I don't really find it that difficult.

Also for my GCSE's I got 7 A*s 1 A and 1 B (maths was an A*/9)

Yeah, you could drop it
Its nothing really but it may come with a slight advantage
If you have not yet started A-Level Further Mathematics, how can you possibly know if you will not enjoy it?
Reply 4
Original post by Tomaloy286
If you’re doing any type of engineering do further maths

Do you know if an engineering degree would be a lot harder without it?
Reply 5
Original post by standedatsea
If you have not yet started A-Level Further Mathematics, how can you possibly know if you will not enjoy it?

Because I'm not really enjoying A level Maths
drop it if you hate it. it'll just drag your other subjects down, plus you only need 3 and any more doesn't make you look any better.
Reply 7
Original post by ProRoadman
Yeah, you could drop it
Its nothing really but it may come with a slight advantage

Yeah that slight advantage is another reason Im hesitant
Original post by _zoe
Yeah that slight advantage is another reason Im hesitant

Honestly, Maths, Physics and Chemistry is what unis want so Further Maths seems Extra but it may help with some of the maths content
Original post by _zoe
Because I'm not really enjoying A level Maths

Neither do I but I do enjoy A-level Further Mathematics.

If I were you, I would wait until you start the course next year and see if you like it. If you don't like it, you should drop it but if you do like it, continue with it.

If I were you, I would wait until you start the course next year and see if you like it. If you don't like it, you should drop it but if you do like it, continue with it.

Many of my friends and I often joke about dropping Mathematics and only do Further Mathematics because of how boring it is.
Reply 11

Is the content actually different? I assumed it was similar topics but with more advanced stuff
Further maths helps A LOT with most quantitative subjects at uni. If you think you can get an A (which clearly means it isnt beyond you), then imo you should suck it up cos itll really help
Original post by _zoe
Do you know if an engineering degree would be a lot harder without it?

Probably not much. The degree will contain dedicated maths modules, designed to teach the maths required to complete the degree beyond which students would be expected to have covered as part of completing the entry requirements (and often includes a recap of some of this material too). If you have taken further maths, you'll have covered some more of this material than if you hadn't - that's where the advantage comes in.
in my opinion, further maths is alot more interesting than normal maths (especially if your school does decision and/or further statistics). the level of difficulty is not that big of a jump if you practice constantly. im not sure about engineering at uni, but i can imagine since maths is a large part of the course then taking further maths can only be beneficial to your knowledge as it will help alot during the course and when applying to uni in year 13
Original post by _zoe
Is the content actually different? I assumed it was similar topics but with more advanced stuff

It does build upon on your knowledge from Mathematics from time to time. They do introduce many completely new topics - a few of these topics tend to be computational heavy, where it's very easy to make simple mistakes because of how long the calculations are. The applied side tends to be very wordy (with practice it becomes easier to decipher what they ask of you) and require you to remember a lot of equations.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Smack
Probably not much. The degree will contain dedicated maths modules, designed to teach the maths required to complete the degree beyond which students would be expected to have covered as part of completing the entry requirements (and often includes a recap of some of this material too). If you have taken further maths, you'll have covered some more of this material than if you hadn't - that's where the advantage comes in.

Ah I see. Thanks for the explanation.
Reply 17
Original post by karwash99
Further maths helps A LOT with most quantitative subjects at uni. If you think you can get an A (which clearly means it isnt beyond you), then imo you should suck it up cos itll really help

But then the amount of work I would have to put in would probably lower my chances of A*'s in the others. Idk which is better A*A*A* or A*AAA/AAAA with FM which will help with my degree.
Reply 18
It does build upon on your knowledge from Mathematics from time to time. They do introduce many completely new topics - a few of these topics tend to be computational heavy, where it's very easy to make simple mistakes because of how long the calculations are. The applied side tends to be very wordy (with practice it becomes easier to decipher what they ask of you) and require you to remember a lot of equations.

Oh wow that doesnt sound like fun to me but I guess I'll never know if I like it till I start learning it.
Original post by _zoe
Oh wow that doesnt sound like fun to me but I guess I'll never know if I like it till I start learning it.

You have everything to gain by continuing on with this so I don't know why you even made a thread about it. I did a pros and cons "table" for you to see for yourself.

---

Pros

- you get to know if you like further mathematics.
- you get to complete mathematics earlier than everyone else so more time for you.

Cons

- there is none.

Quick Reply

Latest