The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Fahad
Which do you think is:
a) The Leading school in London
b) The leading school in the UK

(secondary schools).

Hmm, don't know much about London schools.

The 'most academic' school in the country is probably Winchester College but 'leading school' could mean a wide range of things. Some schools are more powerful at sport and others in facilities.
Reply 2
Joey_Johns
Hmm, don't know much about London schools.

The 'most academic' school in the country is probably Winchester College but 'leading school' could mean a wide range of things. Some schools are more powerful at sport and others in facilities.

in other words, Stonyhurst is the best :wink: :tongue:
Reply 3
4Ed

Stonyhurst is an "odd" school - don't take this as an offence - simply that among catholic schools, it seems to keep to itself.
Maybe because of its Jesuit roots, where as the other big catholic schools (ie Downside and Ampleforth) are Benedictine
Reply 4
winchester coll, and as far as girls go - CLC slappers.
Beejra
Stonyhurst is an "odd" school - don't take this as an offence - simply that among catholic schools, it seems to keep to itself.
Maybe because of its Jesuit roots, where as the other big catholic schools (ie Downside and Ampleforth) are Benedictine

Probably because it doesn't want toss potts attending the school on 'snob value'. Unsurprisingly Ampleforth was originally modelled on Eton. That says it all really.

I think you will find that pretty much all Jesuit schools keep themselves to themselves. Jesuit values hold much truer to the catholic faith than that of beneditines. If your ever up Ampleforth way let one of the teachers give you the detailed history of their old boy who won a VC. Afterwards ask the teacher if any other Amplefordians have won VC's. He will tell you no. Then say, that is funny, I heard Stonyhurst has 7. Watch what happens to his face. It is rather amusing, and I used to go to Ampleforth :biggrin:
4Ed

At producing rugby backs, yes. Otherwise no :tongue:
Reply 7
Joey_Johns
At producing rugby backs, yes. Otherwise no :tongue:

how about sexually deprived priests :wink:
Colchester Royal Grammar :smile:

3rd Best A level results

w00t
Reply 9
Doesn't St. Pauls usually top the tables?
Joey_Johns
The 'most academic' school in the country is probably Winchester College

I, and the A-Level league tables would argue that point. :wink:
Reply 12
BazTheMoney
I, and the A-Level league tables would argue that point. :wink:

Winch came second by a sliver to westminster (according to the times). But then we don't bother ourselves with such inane A Levels as "electronics", or "critical thinking". We teach it, but don't find it necessary to go through the tedium of the syllabus just to up our average points :wink:
Technology and Electronics actually pulls down the Westminster average, 10 did it and only a mere 8 got A's, 80% A's against a school average of 83%. TJP must be going soft in his old age, a few years ago if such a performance was returned there would be some hiring and firing!
Reply 14
Fahad
Which do you think is:
a) The Leading school in London
b) The leading school in the UK

(secondary schools).

a) God knows... Winchester?
b) Rugby - obviously
Reply 15
BazTheMoney
Technology and Electronics actually pulls down the Westminster average, 10 did it and only a mere 8 got A's, 80% A's against a school average of 83%. TJP must be going soft in his old age, a few years ago if such a performance was returned there would be some hiring and firing!

Okay, if we're going to get technical....

Taking away the 8 As in Electronics (960 pts) and 2 Bs in Tech (200 pts) from the total points of the entire year group (of 170), and then reaveraging you get 479 Pts/Cand ... which puts it into 2nd place.
Reply 16
Yannis
a) God knows... Winchester?
b) Rugby - obviously

winchester is in london? What an imagination you have :tongue:.
amex
Okay, if we're going to get technical....

Taking away the 8 As in Electronics (960 pts) and 2 Bs in Tech (200 pts) from the total points of the entire year group (of 170), and then reaveraging you get 479 Pts/Cand ... which puts it into 2nd place.

Oh well, so be it, second or first I don't think anyone will be losing any sleep; getting people into Oxbridge is Westminster's main concern anyway. The most suprising thing is the 30-odd point gap that has opened up between the top 2 and the rest.
Reply 18
amex

You want me to be frank? I don't have a clue.
Reply 19
amex

Let that be westminster then, since I am so ridiculously ignorant.

Latest