The Student Room Group

BOWLBY

someone please explain Bowlby's theory in psychology
Which one? Bowlby's theory of attachment or his theory of maternal deprivation?
Reply 2
Original post by loren.allenxo
Which one? Bowlby's theory of attachment or his theory of maternal deprivation?

Both please, I don’t understand his theory and could u please explain his maturation theory and the study for it
Bowlby's Monotrophic Theory:

Basically Bowlby suggested that attachment is needed for survival and that we are born with the innate behaviours needed for attachment. These behaviours (like crying, smiling, laughing) are called social releasers and encourage people to take care of us. He also suggested that humans have a critical period of up to 2 1/2 years to form attachment and if an attachment hasn't been formed, it is highly unlikely and nearly impossible for the person to ever form an attachment. Another part of his theory was the idea of monotropy - that an infant forms one specific attachment to a caregiver even though the baby may have many other lesser attachments. The baby builds an idea of what love is and what to expect of love from this one special attachment and this is called an 'inner working model'.

Just remember

A - adaptive and innate
S - social releasers
C - critical period
M - monotropy
I - inner working model

^ you can use a mnemonic device to remember this stuff so like "Andy saw carol make icecream" or some random c**p like that

I actually have no idea about the second theory lmao, need to revise that one haha
(edited 5 years ago)
with maternal deprivation, he basically said that if we’re deprived of an element of our caregivers care within the first 30 months, then it will affect intellectual and emotional development.
intellectual- lower IQ, delayed intellectual development
emotional- aggression, affectionless psychopathy, difficult to form close relationships.
the study that he did to support this was the 44 thieves study where he interviews 44 teenage thieves to see if they were deprived as infants and were affectionless psychopaths

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending