The Student Room Group

AQA A-Level Law predictions

=g
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I have a prediction that this years critical analysis question will be murder and voluntary Manslaughter as they're hasn't been a question on that since 2015.. 2017 was the reforms on general defences so I highly doubt they'd throw that in again, but obvi I can never be sure
Original post by Chenxx
I have a prediction that this years critical analysis question will be murder and voluntary Manslaughter as they're hasn't been a question on that since 2015.. 2017 was the reforms on general defences so I highly doubt they'd throw that in again, but obvi I can never be sure

My teacher said he thinks murder and voluntary manslaughter will come up too. Thank you :smile:
I am also resitting unit 2 but I am struggling with unit 2 pre trial procedure for summary/triable-either-way/indictable offences.

For unit 4 I am hoping for justice essay but I expect morality.
Thank you so much. Is there a particular topic or area you find most difficult?

For unit 2 I find going through papers AQA have taken off their website useful since these are papers most people do not look at and they are likely to make the 2018 paper very similar to one of them. Also, what is your approach in terms of notes? I have been typing everything up on my laptop.
Original post by rubieturner
No problem! I have model answers written by my teacher for every possible question for contract and criminal unit 2 if you'd like me to send them.

I'm finding the trial and sentencing questions quite difficult because they're the ones that I don't go over much whereas something like mens rea, omission, causation etc is more common for me to go over. That's a really good idea to predict what might come up! My teacher has given us a list of predicted contract and criminal questions that she and another law teacher both agreed on and her predictions are usually about 85% correct.

I write all my notes out with pen and paper. Last year I revised by making notes from the text book and didn't do so great at unit 2 I got a C overall. Some people in my class learned the model answers our teacher gave us and they all got A grades for unit 2 so that's what I'm doing this year. I'm basically reading a paragraph of a model answer and bullet pointing it. Then I hide the model answer and try to re write that paragraph and if I really need help I will look at the brief bullet points I made. I will do that until I've written up a whole question. I find it really helpful, it's a bit like that "look cover write check" thing kids do in school to learn spellings. I find it really really helpful! So yeah overall I'm just using the model answers to revise!

Woah that seems like a really good idea. I agree trial and sentencing is a little odd because with actus reus or mens rea questions our teachers focus on them a lot more and they seem to be repeated and do not exactly change. For scenario questions I think I lost marks by forgetting to mention a lot from the scenario and isntead my answers were generic. By the way I do tort with criminal and not negligence.

I could give you the model answers/resources I have and I wouldn't mind trying to use the model answers you mentioned.

http://alevellaw.doomby.com/medias/files/modelanswerslaw02.doc
Hi, these sound so good! Would you be able to send them to me?

Original post by rubieturner
No problem! I have model answers written by my teacher for every possible question for contract and criminal unit 2 if you'd like me to send them.

I'm finding the trial and sentencing questions quite difficult because they're the ones that I don't go over much whereas something like mens rea, omission, causation etc is more common for me to go over. That's a really good idea to predict what might come up! My teacher has given us a list of predicted contract and criminal questions that she and another law teacher both agreed on and her predictions are usually about 85% correct.

I write all my notes out with pen and paper. Last year I revised by making notes from the text book and didn't do so great at unit 2 I got a C overall. Some people in my class learned the model answers our teacher gave us and they all got A grades for unit 2 so that's what I'm doing this year. I'm basically reading a paragraph of a model answer and bullet pointing it. Then I hide the model answer and try to re write that paragraph and if I really need help I will look at the brief bullet points I made. I will do that until I've written up a whole question. I find it really helpful, it's a bit like that "look cover write check" thing kids do in school to learn spellings. I find it really really helpful! So yeah overall I'm just using the model answers to revise!
Of course! Do you have an email address?
Reply 8
Hi guys :smile:

How are you all learning the essays for unit 4? I'm finding it really difficult :/
Me too! I'm trying to learn it from the model answer but to be honest I haven't made much of a start yet. I've learned the first part of the justice essay which is the distributive justice section but yeah I'm just revising each paragraph of the model answer!
Reply 10
For unit 3 evaluations I think murder and VM might come up as the questions seem to go in a pattern but they might surprise us and give a defences question where we have to evaluate 3 defences instead of 2. Not sure if thats possible but its the last paper for this spec so they could give anything really.

Anyone have any predictions for unit 4 section C? And how are people memorising the model answers I’m finding it really difficult02BC6324-1288-4641-81A2-A729B52E2667.jpg.jpeg
I think murder & vm will come up too.

For the concept essays my teachers predict that law and morality will come up, but not so much balancing conflicting interests or law and justice.
Reply 12
Original post by sobiaz
For unit 3 evaluations I think murder and VM might come up as the questions seem to go in a pattern but they might surprise us and give a defences question where we have to evaluate 3 defences instead of 2. Not sure if thats possible but its the last paper for this spec so they could give anything really.

Anyone have any predictions for unit 4 section C? And how are people memorising the model answers I’m finding it really difficult02BC6324-1288-4641-81A2-A729B52E2667.jpg.jpeg

Luckily, I don't think they'd ask for three defences if it were to come up. AQA uploaded a 'subject content' document when the new spec was first used (http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-2160-W-TRB-SUBC.PDF) and it says that:

"The evaluation question will be of a general nature, with candidates being required to illustrate their answer with examples taken from two defences of their choice."

So, technically, I think it should be okay. That being said, AQA are snakes so who can tell
Reply 13
Hopefully they wont ask for all 3😭
(edited 5 years ago)
What are your teachers predictions for unit 2??
Original post by _Joe24_
Luckily, I don't think they'd ask for three defences if it were to come up. AQA uploaded a 'subject content' document when the new spec was first used (http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-2160-W-TRB-SUBC.PDF) and it says that:

"The evaluation question will be of a general nature, with candidates being required to illustrate their answer with examples taken from two defences of their choice."

So, technically, I think it should be okay. That being said, AQA are snakes so who can tell

I was literally about to post this link!
They cant ask for three since they established these guidelines as it would basically be asking for something that's not on the specification which they aren't allowed to do. So yeah, hopefully even though it's AQA they wont go that far, haha!
For the evaluation essays are you meant to include positive aspects of the law instead of just criticising?
Reply 17
Original post by new1234
For the evaluation essays are you meant to include positive aspects of the law instead of just criticising?

The Examiner Report from last year suggests that you can identify successful parts of whatever is being evaluated - but for all my evaluation I just say how rubbish the law is.

"So, in general, students wrote broad-ranging and impressively detailed evaluative answers which focused heavily on criticism but certainly did not hesitate to identify positive aspects of the defences."

Seemingly either/or is sufficient? But I'm risking just doing criticisms.
Original post by _Joe24_
The Examiner Report from last year suggests that you can identify successful parts of whatever is being evaluated - but for all my evaluation I just say how rubbish the law is.

"So, in general, students wrote broad-ranging and impressively detailed evaluative answers which focused heavily on criticism but certainly did not hesitate to identify positive aspects of the defences."

Seemingly either/or is sufficient? But I'm risking just doing criticisms.

Yeah that's what I saw which made me doubt myself? I asked my teacher but he didn't really help much and just said don't bother changing it now which is weird since he gave me full marks in my essay before so never mentioned it needed positives?
Hopefully it's either/or!
I'm finding it so so difficult to learn these concept essays and it's really stressing me out ugh :frown:

I hope criticisms of murder and voluntary comes up; I think that's the easiest.

Quick Reply

Latest