1st in UCL vs 2.1 in LSE? Watch

Majorette2018
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I am wondering will a 1st in UCL beat a 2.1 in LSE?

The thing is that I currently hold offers for Bsc Management Science in UCL and Bsc Economic History in LSE. I’ve heard that LSE have better global reputation and career prospects in term of IB and Consultancy, but Economic History program is more qualitative and I might find it quite difficult for me to get a first.

While I just saw the degree classification stats on UCL School of Management show that 60% of its graduates in 2016-2017 received a first. I have also talked with current students in these two programs, generally I think it would be easier for me to get better grades in MS in UCL than EH in LSE.

So will employers normally prefer a 1st in UCL to a 2.1 in LSE? Should I add the fact that I may achieve better grades in UCL than LSE as a favor towards UCL when I decide between the two offers? Thx
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
LolForgotMyPasss
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
First is valued more, so I would say UCL. They are both top uni's within that sector so to differentiate them, a first would stand out.
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
no difference
Majorette2018
Rep:
?
(Original post by gr8wizard10)
no difference
Oh okay, so what will their decisions depend on most? Since both of them are target uni and I’ve heard IB and Consultancy don’t care about what discipline you’re studying that much. Really struggling with the two choices.
titanlou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CaiYu)
Oh okay, so what will their decisions depend on most? Since both of them are target uni and I’ve heard IB and Consultancy don’t care about what discipline you’re studying that much. Really struggling with the two choices.
It depends on you. The 2.1 vs 1st thing doesnt matter. If you're applying for grad roles, they wont care as long as you get a 2.1. At that stage you'd have to be coming with at least 1 internship under your belt
Majorette2018
Rep:
?
(Original post by LolForgotMyPasss)
First is valued more, so I would say UCL. They are both top uni's within that sector so to differentiate them, a first would stand out.
Thx! Does LSE have slight advantages for IB as it has so many alumni in this field?
gr8wizard10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CaiYu)
these things come down to likeability, experience and whether you can talk the talk / walk the walk
Majorette2018
Rep:
?
(Original post by titanlou)
It depends on you. The 2.1 vs 1st thing doesnt matter. If you're applying for grad roles, they wont care as long as you get a 2.1. At that stage you'd have to be coming with at least 1 internship under your belt
Thx! So as long as I get a 2.1, it will not disadvantage me when competing with people with firsts (from same level unis)?
Majorette2018
Rep:
?
these things come down to likeability, experience and whether you can talk the talk / walk the walk
Okay I get it. So would it help that Management Science in UCL is more practical than Economic History as it provides things like scenario weeks and real case studies which might enhance business awareness, familiarity with the market and daily tasks, etc? But in the other hand, it seems that Economics and PPE students are more preferred than business students...?
gr8wizard10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CaiYu)
Okay I get it. So would it help that Management Science in UCL is more practical than Economic History as it provides things like scenario weeks and real case studies which might enhance business awareness, familiarity with the market and daily tasks, etc? But in the other hand, it seems that Economics and PPE students are more preferred than business students...?
refer to my first post
Majorette2018
Rep:
?
refer to my first post
Okay😂Thank you
HoldThisL
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Economic history is (I think) LSE's least competitive course (but it is at least a BSc) and management science isn't a traditional subject.

An economics-related course from LSE is likely to sound better to employers whereas a first in any course at UCL may just edge ahead because a first in anything from UCL says a lot.

What's your offer from LSE?
Majorette2018
Rep:
?
(Original post by HoldThisL)
Economic history is (I think) LSE's least competitive course (but it is at least a BSc) and management science isn't a traditional subject.

An economics-related course from LSE is likely to sound better to employers whereas a first in any course at UCL may just edge ahead because a first in anything from UCL says a lot.

I have already achieved the grades so the condition is only to send my results
Majorette2018
Rep:
?
(Original post by HoldThisL)

I was indeed a bit worried about EH being less competitive and too qualitative but its graduates destination stats is surprisingly great, with a lot of graduates entering IB and Consultancy and higher median salary than many other courses in LSE. Management Science in UCL is quite new without any career stats yet, but it is quite quantitative with many tech related modules.
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you know what is greater than a 1st?
Princepieman
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
literally no one cares. this is a dumb post.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maestori
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Go LSE for sure.
huncho4jack
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Maestori)
Go LSE for sure.
any reason why?
Zebra1234
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The reputation of both universities is similar in IB, so surely a 1st from UCL would be valued more when they are differentiating between you and other candidates?
Princepieman
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Zebra1234)
The reputation of both universities is similar in IB, so surely a 1st from UCL would be valued more when they are differentiating between you and other candidates?
The 1st is pretty meaningless in and of itself, at most it may slightly give your CV a positive but for the most part a 2:1 is all anyone needs for the academic benchmark.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are cats selfish

Yes (40)
50.63%
No (39)
49.37%

Watched Threads