The Student Room Group

I feel like I'm a real failure

Last week my lecturer kinda insulted my report of doing part time job. She said mine was made by a lazy person and it's not real. Although she didn't say it was mine my classmates knew that's mine. Bcs we had to present it in front of the class. I feel really upset bcs I did that the best I could. Her words really hurted me. Now everytime I hear her name being mentioned that memory of being embarrassed in front of my classmates flooding my mind and I just want to cry. I know I sound weak and stupid. Could someone give me advice how to forget that memory or maybe to deal with it?
Reply 1
I'm sorry that you had to deal with that. Next time you go into the lecture hall, bear in mind that you're here to learn, the memory will come back into your head again but you'll need to take a deep breath and put it at the back of your mind. Work first, stress later.

Another thing you can do is to play the petty card: You can go and talk to your lecturer and ask her if she could help you improve the report or ask for her opinion of the report but in a 1 to 1 session. This easily brings up the topic to her and you can tell her that everyone in the class knew that it was your report and you worked hard on that report, so you felt hurt when she embarrassed you. This would make her realise that she shouldn't have diminished another student's work in front of many people. At this point you'll easily win here.

One more thing to mention is that you don't sound weak or stupid at all. Everyone can feel embarrassment but it's only human emotion. The fact that you are still able to go to your lectures just proves that you're a strong person. It's going to be hard to forget at first, but eventually that memory will mean nothing to you. Also remember that there are worse situations in life, for example, she could have mentioned your name in front of everyone or spoken to you directly about it in front of everyone, thankfully she didn't though. Try to look onto the brighter sides, because that way you'll focus on what didn't happen, and that way you won't remember what did happen.

Best of luck :h:
Reply 2
Original post by Nay30
I'm sorry that you had to deal with that. Next time you go into the lecture hall, bear in mind that you're here to learn, the memory will come back into your head again but you'll need to take a deep breath and put it at the back of your mind. Work first, stress later.

Another thing you can do is to play the petty card: You can go and talk to your lecturer and ask her if she could help you improve the report or ask for her opinion of the report but in a 1 to 1 session. This easily brings up the topic to her and you can tell her that everyone in the class knew that it was your report and you worked hard on that report, so you felt hurt when she embarrassed you. This would make her realise that she shouldn't have diminished another student's work in front of many people. At this point you'll easily win here.

One more thing to mention is that you don't sound weak or stupid at all. Everyone can feel embarrassment but it's only human emotion. The fact that you are still able to go to your lectures just proves that you're a strong person. It's going to be hard to forget at first, but eventually that memory will mean nothing to you. Also remember that there are worse situations in life, for example, she could have mentioned your name in front of everyone or spoken to you directly about it in front of everyone, thankfully she didn't though. Try to look onto the brighter sides, because that way you'll focus on what didn't happen, and that way you won't remember what did happen.

Best of luck :h:

You're right, I should've seen the good things here. I feel so angry and that's why the only thing in my mind is blaming myself and the situation. Thankyou so much this means a lot to me :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by ha3x
You're right, I should've seen the good things here. I feel so angry and that's why the only thing in my mind is blaming myself and the situation. Thankyou so much this means a lot to me :smile:

Anytime! I hope things do get better ^.^
Reply 4
Original post by Nay30
Anytime! I hope things do get better ^.^

I hope so too. I have her class on Wednesday. I'm afraid she'll talk about my report again. It's kinda hard to forget her words bcs she's one of my favourite lecturers. I didn't expect her to do that tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending