hqnnlr
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’ll be starting university in 2020 or 2021, after we leave the EU
For the career I want I need a master’s degree but that is financially impossible for me.

Where in Europe can I study for an affordable amount (less than £5000 a year at least) as a non-EU citizen?
Trillo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I believe France is only a few hundred euros per term, and Germany might be free. Tuition only though, not accommodation. I believe that Brexit won't affect those figures as they're offered to Americans etc as well. However Brexit could mean an end to Erasmus funding that would help with any fees that do exist. I think Scandinavian universities are rather cheap too.
AntoMrtn
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

Look into universities and Bshcools in Norway, depending on your study objectives. I'll start my MSc in Economics and Business Administration at Norwegian School of Economics (NHH) next August and the school is totally free, including for non-EU students. You'll have to prove that you can afford living costs in Norway, which are pretty high btw. But still, the school itself is free, with only a 80nok registration fee to the student union. But many undergraduate programmes might be taught in Norwegian, not English.. For instance, undergraduate programmes at NHH are taught in Norwegian only, and then MSc programmes are all taught in English (except the MSc in Accounting and Auditing). I guess it's the same in any Norwegian uni.
Concerning Scandinavia in general, I can speak for Sweden (I don't Denmark at all). Yes, universities are free, but .... not if you're a non-EU citizen. So after Brexit you'll have to pay if you go to Sweden; if I'm not mistaking tuition fees are around 10.000€/year or smth like that, give or take a few hundreds depending on the school/uni. I guess it is the same situation in Denmark (for fees and language of instruction), but again, I never studied there.

Hope this helps
Euro Admission
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AntoMrtn)
Hi,

Look into universities and Bshcools in Norway, depending on your study objectives. I'll start my MSc in Economics and Business Administration at Norwegian School of Economics (NHH) next August and the school is totally free, including for non-EU students. You'll have to prove that you can afford living costs in Norway, which are pretty high btw. But still, the school itself is free, with only a 80nok registration fee to the student union. But many undergraduate programmes might be taught in Norwegian, not English.. For instance, undergraduate programmes at NHH are taught in Norwegian only, and then MSc programmes are all taught in English (except the MSc in Accounting and Auditing). I guess it's the same in any Norwegian uni.
Concerning Scandinavia in general, I can speak for Sweden (I don't Denmark at all). Yes, universities are free, but .... not if you're a non-EU citizen. So after Brexit you'll have to pay if you go to Sweden; if I'm not mistaking tuition fees are around 10.000€/year or smth like that, give or take a few hundreds depending on the school/uni. I guess it is the same situation in Denmark (for fees and language of instruction), but again, I never studied there.

Hope this helps
Ukraine maybe an option?
Onde
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You might find the "Cost of Living" column (which is in US dollars) of this useful: http://www.400cities.com/

(The ranking does not consider "Cost of Living" alone).
Tcannon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Trillo)
I believe France is only a few hundred euros per term, and Germany might be free. Tuition only though, not accommodation. I believe that Brexit won't affect those figures as they're offered to Americans etc as well. However Brexit could mean an end to Erasmus funding that would help with any fees that do exist. I think Scandinavian universities are rather cheap too.
I contacted two unis in Europe regarding Brexit and student fee status. The uni's office emailed me back that after the UK leaving the EU in March 2019, UK students are considered non-EU! Hence Brits would pay the overseas rate, just like Chinese and Americans. In some countries (Holland, Sweden, Denmark), this means a huge difference.
Trillo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tcannon)
I contacted two unis in Europe regarding Brexit and student fee status. The uni's office emailed me back that after the UK leaving the EU in March 2019, UK students are considered non-EU! Hence Brits would pay the overseas rate, just like Chinese and Americans. In some countries (Holland, Sweden, Denmark), this means a huge difference.
That's interesting. Which unis did you contact? I swear I read something that Germany and France charge very little for any overseas students even non EU ones like Americans
Other_Owl
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This website would be of help. https://www.findamasters.com/study-abroad/europe/. Most of european universities who have fees you can pay off with a part time job or some universities are free.
Jono*
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
France is about €200 for the entire year. I'm going to study there starting next year and I'm South African, so brexit will have no effects on this. Alot of units in France have English masters degrees so you may get lucky, but for a Bsc. there is a good chance you won't find an English course and will need to do it in French. Depending on where you study the living costs can be reasonably cheap, unless you choose central Paris like me, then it's eye wateringly expensive lol. but there are many nice cities that are more reasonable.
hallamstudents
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
France and Germany I think. But the next year France is going to raise the price of education for international students. However, this amount will still be significantly less than in other European countries.

Valeriia
username1815085
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Is there any support for EU students in France? I've read about a loan but I didn't find more informations
username1815085
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Anyone ??
DimoZl
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
In Bulgaria It will cost you much less than 5000.
username1815085
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by DimoZl)
In Bulgaria It will cost you much less than 5000.
Thank you, but I wanted to know if there is some kind of support for EU student in France
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
In Slavic countries they should be charging about 2000-3000 euros a year, however, many universities will have only selected courses available in English.

While costs or living are roughly 4-6 times lower than in the UK, you must note that earnings are also that much lower, however if you manage to get a job as English language teacher (the easiest way is to work for private language teaching company and completely privately on your own) you should be making 2-4 times as much as the local minimum wage so doing 15 hours of work a week you should be able to fund it even with locally earned money, and just pay your bills and necessities.

The good thing is that post-Soviet countries usually should have good doctors that can really quickly put you back in shape if you get ill, not just prescribing paracetamol like they do in some countries.
Last edited by PTMalewski; 7 months ago
DrBibber
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
There are a lot of international students, especially form Great Britain, that are studying in the Netherlands. Annual fee is 2000 euros but the education is very leveled plus most studies in the Netherlands are 100% in the English language.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate