Not sure which textbook to go for...

Watch this thread
k.n.h.
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
The AQA Science textbooks, or the CGP student books? The CGP texbook answers pretty much all of what the spec requires, but some of its explanations (which aren't explicitly in the text of specification, just answering objectives on it) are underwhelming, for example, for the spec's objectives of: 'The effect of alcohol on the liver and brain function' and 'The effects of smoking and alcohol on unborn babies', the CGP textbook responds with this:

'Drinking too much alcohol has been shown to cause liver disease. The liver breaks down alcohol, but the reaction can damage its cells. Liver cells may also be damaged when toxic chemicals leak from the gut due to damage to the intestines caused by alcohol. Too much alcohol can affect brain function too. It can damage the nerve cells in the brain, causing the brain to lose volume.'

and

'Smoking when pregnant reduces the amount of oxygen the baby receives in the womb and can cause lots of health problems for the unborn baby. Drinking alcohol has similar effects. Alcohol can damage the baby’s cells, affecting its development and causing a wide range of health issues'

Are these answers correct and sufficient? Because even Bitesize goes into more detail regarding this. However, some of the AQA textbook's explanations seem long and with too much detail, same with Bitesize on certain topics. Which do you prefer - what would you recommend?
Zahra166
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
i would stick with CGP cos with chem they gave me a G8 in a practice paper along with Mygcsescience which is an online gcse website.
also print out a pixl checklist for your science subjects. they really do help! type in "AQA gcse chemistry/biology/physics revision PIXL checklist" make sure you get the one for either combined or triple/single science.
also, the aqa textbook is way too hard to take in info but do the questions if you do get it cos theyll give an idea of the actual questions that'll come up!
I_Hate_School
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I think the CGP Revision and Practice books are really good for revision!!! I use them for basically every subject I do!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (12)
30.77%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (13)
33.33%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
5.13%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (2)
5.13%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (3)
7.69%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
15.38%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
2.56%

Watched Threads