The Student Room Group

Instagram makes me feel really upset

Ughhh i know most of the pictures are heavily photoshopped and a lot of what happens on insta doesn't necessarily reflect real life but whenever i log on there i get really upset and jealous over all my friends feeds and how much fun they're having while i'm rotting my youth away here, studying for exams ....

I used to have 400ish followers in the beginning of 2017 ( ppl i know ) but ever since mid 2017 i went completely cold turkey there to better focus on my exams and now i have only 200? followers and that makes me really sad to know all those ppl probably think i'm too boring for them to follow and my sensitive a** is getting real hurt and idek anymore.

And even my classmates who are also studying for exams still manage to get into study groups together and post cute photos of them having fun, meanwhile i look like a slowly decomposing squirrel corpse OOF

SOrry to sound like such a brat i just wanted somewhere to vent my first world problems .. after all i'm just a 16 year old who wants to fit in OK :frown:

anyway if you have something mean to say then please don't i'm too sad now.

also i'm on my period so **** off .

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by snovvhite
Ughhh i know most of the pictures are heavily photoshopped and a lot of what happens on insta doesn't necessarily reflect real life but whenever i log on there i get really upset and jealous over all my friends feeds and how much fun they're having while i'm rotting my youth away here, studying for exams ....

I used to have 400ish followers in the beginning of 2017 ( ppl i know ) but ever since mid 2017 i went completely cold turkey there to better focus on my exams and now i have only 200? followers and that makes me really sad to know all those ppl probably think i'm too boring for them to follow and my sensitive a** is getting real hurt and idek anymore.

And even my classmates who are also studying for exams still manage to get into study groups together and post cute photos of them having fun, meanwhile i look like a slowly decomposing squirrel corpse OOF

SOrry to sound like such a brat i just wanted somewhere to vent my first world problems .. after all i'm just a 16 year old who wants to fit in OK :frown:

also i'm on my period so f off .

That explains everything.
nah igu
I love insta but like sometimes seeing people online and their lifestyles, I kinda feel like wow lmao
Like I’m doing my best trying to study and stuff and those are my goals, to glo on myself
Idek what I’m saying, but it messes with your confidence, even the most confident people x
I really think you need a break from social media. Also, most of the time when people have to post pics or videos of them having fun, it's just to make their lives seem more interesting than it really is. Again, just get off social media for a while.
Original post by Fazzy_77
I really think you need a break from social media. Also, most of the time when people have to post pics or videos of them having fun, it's just to make their lives seem more interesting than it really is. Again, just get off social media for a while.

I’m in the mood to disconnect from all social media and ghost away for a while gym
Original post by snovvhite

also i'm on my period so f off .

Sounds like you would benefit from uninstalling Instagram until you can handle it and you are happy with yourself without having to fit in.
I uninstalled insta... best decision ever!
Original post by ahlaladolly
I’m in the mood to disconnect from all social media and ghost away for a while gym

Trust me you will feel a lot better when you do. Speaking from experience btw :smile:
Delete Instagram. I did.
Trust me you will feel a lot better when you do. Speaking from experience btw :smile:

I’m gonna try to :smile: I deleted sc ahaha which has been great
How did you manage doing it and do you ever feel the need to log back in?
I think it better you stay off social media and focus on your studies.. most of those things you see on social media ain’t real, they live ‘fake lives’.
I have almost 10,000 followers on my Twitter account and about 3 friends in "real life". It doesn't mean anything.

Also, you're comparing your life with someone else's highlights reel. Of course it's going to look bad by comparison.
Reply 12
I think you need to stop focusing on the number of followers you have or what other people post. I don't even go on instagram much, because it really doesn't matter. If you feel validated by a number on the screen welp, I have bad news for you. And people only show the best parts of their life, so take everything you see on ig with a grain of salt
I think it better you stay off social media and focus on your studies.. most of those things you see on social media ain’t real, they live ‘fake lives’.
I’m gonna try to :smile: I deleted sc ahaha which has been great
How did you manage doing it and do you ever feel the need to log back in?

I just realised it was making me feel so down and I hated that so I just went for it and deleted all social media. At first I wanted to log back in but then I got used to it and I don't even think about it anymore. I'm so much happier now too :smile:
I just realised it was making me feel so down and I hated that so I just went for it and deleted all social media. At first I wanted to log back in but then I got used to it and I don't even think about it anymore. I'm so much happier now too :smile:

I hope I’m able to delete the rest of my social media accounts too :smile: some of it is toxic in a way and bad on ur health ygm?
I hope I’m able to delete the rest of my social media accounts too :smile: some of it is toxic in a way and bad on ur health ygm?

Don't think about it, just go for it. And yep its definitely toxic.
The problem is friendships in my age group rely so much on social media that if i delete insta ppl will begin to see me as a kind of outcast and i'd easily miss out on so many of what happens....
I used to feel the same about snapchat but after a lot of effort finally completely cut it off, but still....
In class sometimes kids would discuss whatever crazy thing happened in whatever party and i always felt alienated and hurt that they'd just go on talking like that and blatantly ignore me sitting there :/
But thank you anyway for your advice . I'll try to cut off as much of social media as i can this summer to work on my hobbies ( i swim, do competitive piano and occasionally draw :biggrin: )
i just hope i don't get too tempted :angry:
It's nice to see people relate <3
Don't think about it, just go for it. And yep its definitely toxic.

100% girl it really is and I will aha

Latest

Trending

Trending