dude101010
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
explain why irreversible steps are important in metabolic pathways are important?

I understand that an irreversible step is when a product cannot go back in a pathway but I don't know how to answer this question.

thanks for the help.
OxFossil
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have no idea what your exam board is looking for but here's my thoughts

1. There is no such thing as an irreversible metabolic path or step - any step can, in theory, be reversed provided enough energy is put in to reversing it. This is generally true of most chemical reactions

2. However, metabolism is purposeful. It aims, generally, to produce some useful metabolite. Typically, this involves either converting bond energy contained in energy-rich compounds (such as ATP) into energy that can be used for other purposes (driving other biochemical reactions), or else producing certain products that are in deficit from others that are in excess (for example converting a hormone precursor into the active form).

3. To ensure the metabolic process goes in the right direction, it helps to include steps that would require big energy inputs to reverse (i.e. which are effectively irreversible). A cell or system which is in total equilibrium (i.e where the reactions are in equilibrium, going equally in both directions) is a dead cell.

Does that help any?
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi,

In some physiological situations, a toxic product might be converted into something less toxic or even safe - then in this case, you want the detoxification process to be irreversible, so that you do not go back to the toxic moiety e.g. the liver is the main site where these processes occur, and some of the reactions brought about by the cytochrome P450 system are irreversible.

A different situation might be when the product of a reaction is crucial for well-being or survival, or where the product is the substrate for the next step, and therefore the system cannot afford to have it reconverted to its precursor.

Technically, you could also give an example of such a reaction that is disadvantageous and non-physiological kinda, which could be seen as "important" e.g. the binding of carbon monoxide to haemoglobin (Hb) to produce carboxyhaemoglobin is irreversible, and can ultimately deplete enough Hb to cause severe symptoms or death.

M
dude101010
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by OxFossil)
I have no idea what your exam board is looking for but here's my thoughts

1. There is no such thing as an irreversible metabolic path or step - any step can, in theory, be reversed provided enough energy is put in to reversing it. This is generally true of most chemical reactions

2. However, metabolism is purposeful. It aims, generally, to produce some useful metabolite. Typically, this involves either converting bond energy contained in energy-rich compounds (such as ATP) into energy that can be used for other purposes (driving other biochemical reactions), or else producing certain products that are in deficit from others that are in excess (for example converting a hormone precursor into the active form).

3. To ensure the metabolic process goes in the right direction, it helps to include steps that would require big energy inputs to reverse (i.e. which are effectively irreversible). A cell or system which is in total equilibrium (i.e where the reactions are in equilibrium, going equally in both directions) is a dead cell.

Does that help any?
thanks for the help! i am doing Scottish highers, by the way
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (59)
4.63%
Uncertainty around my education (195)
15.29%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (141)
11.06%
Lack of purpose or motivation (181)
14.2%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (57)
4.47%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (72)
5.65%
Loneliness (112)
8.78%
Financial worries (45)
3.53%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (58)
4.55%
Exposure to negative news/social media (58)
4.55%
Lack of real life entertainment (68)
5.33%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (112)
8.78%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (117)
9.18%

Watched Threads