Why are people from The Netherlands called Dutch?

Watch
username3781180
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I just woke up one bright morning and I seriously asked myself why are they called Dutch ? Don’t you have those days when you questions why things are the way they are?

Shouldn’t people from the Netherlands / Holland be called something like Hollander , Holes , Netherlanders....etc They need to sort themselves out

#helloimcool4presidentofEurope
MongoDB
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Something to do with English wars with the Netherlands a few hundred years ago leading to a change in use (though I'd have to look it up). Note that the German for German is Deutsch (which is the exact same word as Dutch) but the Dutch word for Dutch is Nederlands. So in a linguistically ideal world we'd be calling German people Dutch and Dutch people Netherlandish?

Using Dutch to mean German in English has actually survived via the continued use of the term Pennsylvania Dutch (German descendant community and language in and around Pennsylvania). They're called Pennsylvania Dutch but they're descended from Germans and speak their own form of German: not an ounce of Dutch blood in them.
username3781180
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by mongodb)
Something to do with English wars with the Netherlands a few hundred years ago leading to a change in use (though I'd have to look it up). Note that the German for German is Deutsch (which is the exact same word as Dutch) but the Dutch word for Dutch is Nederlands. So in a linguistically ideal world we'd be calling German people Dutch and Dutch people Netherlandish?

Using Dutch to mean German in English has actually survived via the continued use of the term Pennsylvania Dutch (German descendant community and language in and around Pennsylvania). They're called Pennsylvania Dutch but they're descended from Germans and speak their own form of German: not an ounce of Dutch blood in them.
Thank u . That was very enlightening.
dandiprat
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If I remember this correctly: back when Germany and the Netherlands were still a part of the Holy Roman Empire, we would refer to the people there as dutch. In Old English, 'dutch' stood for 'nation' or 'people', and that stuck long-term... well, before either were the countries we know them as today. High dutch were people from southern Germany, and low dutch were people from the Netherlands. Back then names such as the Netherlands and Holland were used to signify the characteristics of the area, examples: Holland, wood-land; Netherland, low-lying land; etcetera.

This roughly explains it.

But yeah, sometimes I get questions like that pop into my head. Just the other day I was struck with the following:

Who the hell was the first guy who decided to eat a ****ing onion? Why did the mad man go through the eye burn for an onion?
MongoDB
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by dandiprat)
Just the other day I was struck with the following:

Who the hell was the first guy who decided to eat a ****ing onion? Why did the mad man go through the eye burn for an onion?
Hunger, I'd imagine.
Prefect1992
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Really I thought people people from Neverland Ranch were called "suspects" and "witnesses" of well you learn something new every day...
dandiprat
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mongodb)
Hunger, I'd imagine.
Don't worry about it fam, the National Onion Association opened my eyes to the answer I needed.
TheZugg
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by username3781180)
I just woke up one bright morning and I seriously asked myself why are they called Dutch ? Don’t you have those days when you questions why things are the way they are?

Shouldn’t people from the Netherlands / Holland be called something like Hollander , Holes , Netherlanders....etc They need to sort themselves out

#helloimcool4presidentofEurope
Just want to point out here - Holland =/= Nederlands

To the NL people they are Nederlanders - The People of the Netherlands.
I got stung for this many times in the first few weeks of the 5 years I lived in NL

Hollanders are FROM the Provincie of Noord/Zuid Holland, Nederlanders are from The Netherlands!
Usually no one picks you up on it, unless you live in Limburg like I did! They hated being called Hollanders.

En ja, ik spreek een beetje Nederlands!
MongoDB
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheZugg)
Just want to point out here - Holland =/= Nederlands

To the NL people they are Nederlanders - The People of the Netherlands.
I got stung for this many times in the first few weeks of the 5 years I lived in NL

Hollanders are FROM the Provincie of Noord/Zuid Holland, Nederlanders are from The Netherlands!
Usually no one picks you up on it, unless you live in Limburg like I did! They hated being called Hollanders.

En ja, ik spreek een beetje Nederlands!
Very true; in terms of geographical area it's approximately equivalent to calling England East Anglia. I had considered mentioning this previously but didn't fancy making myself look too much like a know-it-all
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (74)
28.14%
England (91)
34.6%
Belgium (20)
7.6%
Germany (33)
12.55%
Spain (3)
1.14%