The Student Room Group

Want to study Mathematics at University...

Hey guys,

So it is my ambition to study Mathematics at University, and since I am in year 12 I have started signing up for Open Days to see what university looks like a good place to study.

I was just wondering if there was anyone that could give me some prior knowledge of what to expect if I do pursue this path, and give me some additional tips on how to prepare throughout my A levels to help me achieve the grades I need to get there. This would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
My older brother did maths at Leeds. If you're not doing further maths, you will have a busy first year trying to catch up.
Reply 2
Original post by Sinnoh
My older brother did maths at Leeds. If you're not doing further maths, you will have a busy first year trying to catch up.

Right now I am studying Maths, Further Maths and Psychology. How did your older brother find it, because I have spoken to a few people that have done maths at LSE and they said that it was tough but rewarding, but you need to find the right place that will have a positive impact on your revision.
Reply 3
Original post by Bradley00
Right now I am studying Maths, Further Maths and Psychology. How did your older brother find it, because I have spoken to a few people that have done maths at LSE and they said that it was tough but rewarding, but you need to find the right place that will have a positive impact on your revision.

I think after the initial period of just having to catch up, it was alright. I don't know how well he passed though.
Reply 4
Original post by Sinnoh
I think after the initial period of just having to catch up, it was alright. I don't know how well he passed though.

Well, I hope your brother did extremely well, and thank you for responding!
Original post by Bradley00
Hey guys,

So it is my ambition to study Mathematics at University, and since I am in year 12 I have started signing up for Open Days to see what university looks like a good place to study.

I was just wondering if there was anyone that could give me some prior knowledge of what to expect if I do pursue this path, and give me some additional tips on how to prepare throughout my A levels to help me achieve the grades I need to get there. This would be greatly appreciated.

All depends on what grades you think you'll get and what kind of Maths you like.

No point applying to a place with a large applied set of compulsory modules if you enjoy pure Maths and vice versa.

Most places will give you the core areas, so really up to your personal choice of what you like, i.e would you like to be in a city or campus uni, large staff to student ratio or small etc

To prepare just learn the material and do as many questions as you possibly can, at A level practice is everything.

Also I would note you'll get an offer for 3 A levels. So if your taking Maths and further Maths I'd advice spending quite some time on you 3rd A level as you'll need. (As I found out with my failure in Chemistry lol :biggrin: but it turned out well for me being where I am anyway as I love it here)
Reply 6
Original post by zetamcfc
All depends on what grades you think you'll get and what kind of Maths you like.

No point applying to a place with a large applied set of compulsory modules if you enjoy pure Maths and vice versa.

Most places will give you the core areas, so really up to your personal choice of what you like, i.e would you like to be in a city or campus uni, large staff to student ratio or small etc

To prepare just learn the material and do as many questions as you possibly can, at A level practice is everything.

Also I would note you'll get an offer for 3 A levels. So if your taking Maths and further Maths I'd advice spending quite some time on you 3rd A level as you'll need. (As I found out with my failure in Chemistry lol :biggrin: but it turned out well for me being where I am anyway as I love it here)

Right now, my third subject is Psychology, and its not going so well, but would my AS grade affect what Universities will think of giving me an offer, or would they base it off Predicted VS Actual?

Also, I am interested in all areas of Maths so I am still deciding on which course seems like it would interest me most, I don't really have a favourite right now, but hopefully visiting some universities will help me make the decision in what area of maths I would like to specialize in.

Quick Reply

Latest