I’m scared for my brother

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
My brother is smoking and has been for a few years. His health is getting worse. Nothing stops him from doing it. I’m really scared for him. What can I do to persuade him to stop?
NonIndigenous
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
https://youtu.be/gdZh24vw6uA?t=24s
FailedTeacher
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
The only thing that springs to my mind is an intervention - having your friends and family stage a get-together to say how they all feel - no judgement would be passed. Sounds strong as it tends to be used for serious addictions (like alcohol, heroin) but there is no law saying you couldn't do one.

This is about all you can do - it's sad to watch it really is but he is also free to make his own choices in life.

Have you ever asked him how he feels about smoking? Does he want to quit himself but keeps relapsing?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by FailedTeacher)
The only thing that springs to my mind is an intervention - having your friends and family stage a get-together to say how they all feel - no judgement would be passed. Sounds strong as it tends to be used for serious addictions (like alcohol, heroin) but there is no law saying you couldn't do one.

This is about all you can do - it's sad to watch it really is but he is also free to make his own choices in life.

Have you ever asked him how he feels about smoking? Does he want to quit himself but keeps relapsing?
Thank you for replying
I haven’t asked him, but I will tomorrow. The thing is my family has told him many times how they feel and it seems to have no effect on him
Anonymous #1
Thank you
FailedTeacher
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thank you for replying
I haven’t asked him, but I will tomorrow. The thing is my family has told him many times how they feel and it seems to have no effect on him
I imagine because he has heard it all before - that message is even on the damm boxes!

An intervention can be a more 'emotionally impacting' method of getting through to him - anything else he may just pass off as 'nagging' and 'just nod and say yeah'.

I wish you luck
Nottie
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
He won't stop because his family tells him to. I don't think a get together where you all say how you are upset by his smoking won't work either.

He needs motivational interview. Ask him why he smokes, what are the benefits and what are the cons of this. Get him to figure it out why he needs to stop smoking, not just say it to him. It is best done by someone not emotionally involved in the situation, but you can read about it online and have a go yourself
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (68)
32.69%
Yes - a trusted person (58)
27.88%
No (55)
26.44%
I'm not sure (27)
12.98%

Watched Threads